• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Hey! I'm new here

O

O.Z.A

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this forum and haven't ever used a forum like this before.

I'm a 22 year old, masters student from London.

Currently suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks due to a fear of death that affects my sleeping. I barely sleep unless i'm past exhausted and when I do, someone has to stay on a video call with me incase anything happens.
I don't know how to get it under control and I can't speak to people about it as i'm afraid they might think i'm crazy; So i thought to join this forum incase anyone else is going through this or knows how I can get back to a somewhat normal life.

Looking forward to meeting you guys and at least being able to talk to someone :)

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Sorry to hear what you're experiencing, personally I normally get up at 4:30am so by the late evening I crash out anyway, I did have an overwhelming fear of death for a few years, but it did subside. I was so happy when I was 22, my problems started mid-20s still ongoing, but really subsided early 30's, I'm 44 now, it can take time.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Sorry to hear about that it sound awful. I agree with Cpt. Set your alarm early and no matter how tired you are make yourself get up. Has something happened recently that could have triggered this fear

O

O.Z.A

Sorry to hear what you're experiencing, personally I normally get up at 4:30am so by the late evening I crash out anyway, I did have an overwhelming fear of death for a few years, but it did subside. I was so happy when I was 22, my problems started mid-20s still ongoing, but really subsided early 30's, I'm 44 now, it can take time.
Thanks for replying! Really nice to hear from you, was your fear similar to mine and how did you work past it?

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi O.Z.A and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear about you suffering.
Even healthy people are afraid of death🙂 so don’t be hard on yourself. You are not alone my friend. I did suffer from that a while ago. It’s terrifying.
Identify triggers that make you anxious and panicky.

Even though this a common fear, sometimes it’s overwhelming and it’s tota fine to seek help. I really advise you to see a professional. This can save you time and energy to feel better.

I hope you feel better soon.

O

O.Z.A

Sorry to hear about that it sound awful. I agree with Cpt. Set your alarm early and no matter how tired you are make yourself get up. Has something happened recently that could have triggered this fear
Hi Daffy, thanks for your reply. Honestly, it was triggered when a friend of mine passed away two years ago who wasn't very close to me but made me realise that you could literally die at anytime for any reason. It scared me so much and stuck with me till today. Now whenever I hear about a young person passing I won't sleep for a few days but after a while I get sick and have to force myself while someone watches me, it's honestly a horrible way to live :(

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
If your at uni do they have a counsellor that you can talk to. I know some people find it hard to ask for help but I promise you it will all feel much better if you discuss it with a professional. They can teach you coping techniches and rationalise your fear

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Intense positive thinking helped me the most, ironically I'm looking forward to a better life than one in which I never even suffered.

It is a terrible & debilitating condition, constant fear & panic, medication can only mask it, but you're still young yet, it can affect anyone, it started affecting me at a late stage of my life, before my mid-20's as was really happy, never had a panic attack in my life. It hit me really hard, but immense positive thinking, taking a look at what I had in life, & what I could look forward too.

& yes, it did ruin my life for a few years, literally, but it is so suprising how you can put it all behind you.