• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hey i'm new here and trying to recover from anorexia

S

Stick2005

I'm in anorexia recovery and I have a lot of questions and I just want to be able to talk with people that understand... I've found that I'm constantly hungry now and so I eat but I'm terrified to keep on.there are times when I just want my eating disorder back. I'm starting to eat mostly vegan but I've been told that's just another form of restriction. I think I have a really fast metabolism because even though I eat when I'm hungry,I've still lost weight...doctor told me I can have up to 20 minutes of gentle exercise a day and that really bothers me as I love being active. I also have a horrible fear of ever eating out or anything like that. Does anyone know how long this extreme hunger will last and how to get over my fear of eating out? also I was wondering what keeps you motivated to keep recovery and if you have any advice in general that would be awesome🙂sorry for my long ramble but I'm just super anxious about this all🙄😳

M

Melchy

Welcome aboard. Heck, you’ve got a lot going on rn. Take it easy or you’ll become overwhelmed.

I totally understand the ‘going out’ bit. How u handle it depends a lot on what happens to u when u eat in front of others.

But...... and here’s the thing..... out in restaurants etc, other ppl won’t really be looking at you.

When I was in treatment they used this analogy ‘if you bounce down the street on a pogo stick dressed as a rabbit shouting “I’m a rabbit. Give me a lettuce!!!”, ppl will look at you. Otherwise there’ll be no reaction to you.

S

Stick2005

Thanks for the replies😊another question I had was if I should eat until I'm full or what? Because lately I've been feeling like I could eat forever and never get full and its the worst, most terrifying feeling I've had

P

Purpleplum

When someone has been starving themselves then constant hunger will follow. It's the body's way of protecting itself in case it faces starvation again.

Once you start eating enough REGULARLY, this will stop and you won't be constantly hungry. Your body will know that more food is coming on a consistent basis.

I disagree with them saying that being vegan is another way of restricting. There are many reasons to be vegan.

S

Stick2005

When someone has been starving themselves then constant hunger will follow. It's the body's way of protecting itself in case it faces starvation again.

Once you start eating enough REGULARLY, this will stop and you won't be constantly hungry. Your body will know that more food is coming on a consistent basis.

I disagree with them saying that being vegan is another way of restricting. There are many reasons to be vegan.
Ok thanks for the reply...I've noticed that if I eat mostly plant-based my body feels a lot better and happier and that makes sense about the starving.its just really frustrating

M

Melchy

Re. Knowing when to stop eating, I was told that if u have 27gms of sugar carbs at the end of a meal, it sends an ‘end of meal’ message to the brain. It’s why ppl have desserts.
I’ve not tried it. I stop eating well before the meal is finished... 🤔

S

Stick2005

Re. Knowing when to stop eating, I was told that if u have 27gms of sugar carbs at the end of a meal, it sends an ‘end of meal’ message to the brain. It’s why ppl have desserts.
I’ve not tried it. I stop eating well before the meal is finished... 🤔
Maybe I'll try that sometime...sounds scary though at this point😬😅

P

Purpleplum

Maybe I'll try that sometime...sounds scary though at this point😬😅
Sugar spikes blood sugar, then crashes it shortly after making a person hungry again. I'd go for substantial food to feel full.

M

Mary26

You need a lot of nutrition to repair the damage from restriction. Extreme hunger is normal and it will subside. As for exercise, I wouldn't recommend it for a while because that urge to move and burn calories is part of the eating disorder and your body needs rest. It was very hard for me to stop but when I did I realized how addicted I was. As for veganism, there's a reason it's not permitted in recovery. It's another way of restricting and holding on to the idea of "safe" foods. Recovery takes surrender--to your hunger, to resting, to not controlling what you eat. It's not easy but so worth it. Hugs.

G

goodgollymiss

What about a meal replacement shake for vitamins. If you're just missing one vitamin you will be hungry. What about a peanut butter banana almond milk cocoa smoothie