• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hey every one I am new here.

M

MayPan

I'm having a hard time coping with my emotions. I am currently doing CBT and it was going great but I feel as though I am going downhill emotionally and mentally. Is this normal? I don't feel like a normal human being. I ask myself "How does everyone around me look so content, confidence and sure about themselves?" "why am I filled with all these strong emotions? like sadness, shame, guilt, grief?" "Where has my confidence gone!?" "Why cant remember the last time I was happy..." It's the heavy beast that wont go away. It's like the more I try and force it, the stronger it gets! Can anyone relate? I have serious low self-esteem and I feel like there is no way out! Does anyone have any advice? Some kind words? Anything would be appreciated.

Sending my love to you all. I hope you are having a good day/night.

LizBo

LizBo

I'm having a hard time coping with my emotions. I am currently doing CBT and it was going great but I feel as though I am going downhill emotionally and mentally. Is this normal? I don't feel like a normal human being. I ask myself "How does everyone around me look so content, confidence and sure about themselves?" "why am I filled with all these strong emotions? like sadness, shame, guilt, grief?" "Where has my confidence gone!?" "Why cant remember the last time I was happy..." It's the heavy beast that wont go away. It's like the more I try and force it, the stronger it gets! Can anyone relate? I have serious low self-esteem and I feel like there is no way out! Does anyone have any advice? Some kind words? Anything would be appreciated.

Hey there and :welcome: MayPan;

I'm sorry you're feeling this way; I know it's really uncomfortable. CBT opens up our past and fears so it makes sense you're upset. Many people respond to it the same way, as recovering from MH issues such as anxiety and depression can be a long haul and takes a lot of courage to face and process. Well done by the way!

I hope this forum provides some well earned support during your journey. And to be blunt, it's a marathon, not a sprint ok. I know this sounds defeatist, but healing your mind takes time, just like a broken limb or organ. The brain is just as vulnerable to injury.

My best advice is to rest and accept this is happening to you; fighting it can make you feel worse. Lean on loved ones by telling them what you need from them as most people don't know what to say or how to react. They're worried they might upset you or make you feel worse. Learn from your experience and, it's really ok to make mistakes as these are our best learning tools.

I hope this helps hun...
Take care;
Liz x

Q

queerghost

I have been feeling the exact same way for some time now and it can be so frustrating when you see all the people around you flourishing and continuing with their lives but you feel frozen in this cycle of sadness and you don’t know how to fix it because you don’t even know why you’re feeling this way. You feel like you’re wasting precious time which could be spent making memories with people but you can’t seem to pick yourself up. For me the first step was seeing a therapist as it is something I have dreaded doing for years but I feel like having someone who understands and can help is really reassuring. It can be frustrating at times for me as I wish it would all go away suddenly but I keep reminding myself to stay patient because this is a journey which can not be rushed.

OCDguy

OCDguy

I think if it were me, I would raise this with my Therapist. In my opinion (but it is just that), everyone should have a base to work from, something they can return to, which is strong, secure and gives that individual a sense of pride, belonging and worth. If this can be achieved it should make those challenging moments that little bit easier... Hope this helps :)

D

Daveyboy

Going through exactly what you have posted. CBT. Depression. As well as a break up. The way I try and cope is reading learning about depression symptoms. I find this really helps. Really helpful book I have read is depressive illness ( curse of the strong). By dr Tim cantopher. Not too long. No over complicated medical terms. So for the price of a tenner. Nothing to lose. Take care and be strong. Easy to say. Hard to do I know. 👍

T

treasurebox

Know that you were made to have a happy and confident heart.

Music helps me. Music therapy or listening to good and uplifting songs in youtube makes me feel and think better.

Also doing what I love to do which is writing helps me too. What do you love to do? What are you good at? Is it cooking, baking, gardening, doing arts and crafts? Do it and it will make you happy and even be successful.

I

irwin

If I didn't have my hobbies, I'd be pretty miserable. We need an escape from all the crap going on in the world.

Jam1990

Jam1990

Unfortunately I relate so much. The more I try to be happy, the more the depression creeps in and keeps me down. I have brief moments of happiness followed quickly by feelings of despair. I’m taking medication but it still happens to me. I’m happy I can relate to you but hate that we have to go through it.

M

Molon Labve

I am sorry you're feeling like that. I can relate 100%. I am going exactly through CBT, plus I am on antidepressants for more than a year now. I haven't found a way out this dark place, but I am sincerely hoping you do so. One thing that I assure helps me is this forum. It gives you the feeling you're not alone in your issues, that there is other people who have gone through the same and managed to get out of this, so there is hope.

M

MayPan

Hey there and :welcome: MayPan;

I'm sorry you're feeling this way; I know it's really uncomfortable. CBT opens up our past and fears so it makes sense you're upset. Many people respond to it the same way, as recovering from MH issues such as anxiety and depression can be a long haul and takes a lot of courage to face and process. Well done by the way!

I hope this forum provides some well earned support during your journey. And to be blunt, it's a marathon, not a sprint ok. I know this sounds defeatist, but healing your mind takes time, just like a broken limb or organ. The brain is just as vulnerable to injury.

My best advice is to rest and accept this is happening to you; fighting it can make you feel worse. Lean on loved ones by telling them what you need from them as most people don't know what to say or how to react. They're worried they might upset you or make you feel worse. Learn from your experience and, it's really ok to make mistakes as these are our best learning tools.

I hope this helps hun...
Take care;
Liz x
Thank you so much for you kind words. I really appreciate it. I'm putting a lot of pressure on myself to get well again there's so much shame behind it too. You've really helped me and I need to remember to me kinder to myself.

Thanks again X

M

MayPan

I have been feeling the exact same way for some time now and it can be so frustrating when you see all the people around you flourishing and continuing with their lives but you feel frozen in this cycle of sadness and you don’t know how to fix it because you don’t even know why you’re feeling this way. You feel like you’re wasting precious time which could be spent making memories with people but you can’t seem to pick yourself up. For me the first step was seeing a therapist as it is something I have dreaded doing for years but I feel like having someone who understands and can help is really reassuring. It can be frustrating at times for me as I wish it would all go away suddenly but I keep reminding myself to stay patient because this is a journey which can not be rushed.
It's nice to know that there are other's out there who are going through the same thing. I wish you all the best on your journey. Thank you for sharing you experience with me. It means a lot.

M

MayPan

I think if it were me, I would raise this with my Therapist. In my opinion (but it is just that), everyone should have a base to work from, something they can return to, which is strong, secure and gives that individual a sense of pride, belonging and worth. If this can be achieved it should make those challenging moments that little bit easier... Hope this helps :)
Thank you for the advice. I have my therapy session tomorrow so I will definitely raise it up.

M

MayPan

Going through exactly what you have posted. CBT. Depression. As well as a break up. The way I try and cope is reading learning about depression symptoms. I find this really helps. Really helpful book I have read is depressive illness ( curse of the strong). By dr Tim cantopher. Not too long. No over complicated medical terms. So for the price of a tenner. Nothing to lose. Take care and be strong. Easy to say. Hard to do I know. 👍
Thank you for the book recommendation. I've been meaning to find some good material. I will start here with this book. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

M

MayPan

Know that you were made to have a happy and confident heart.

Music helps me. Music therapy or listening to good and uplifting songs in youtube makes me feel and think better.

Also doing what I love to do which is writing helps me too. What do you love to do? What are you good at? Is it cooking, baking, gardening, doing arts and crafts? Do it and it will make you happy and even be successful.
Thank you for the advice. I love Art. I'm currently doing a lot of digital paintings. It's also a good form of escape. Sadly right now I don't really feel like doing anything, but maybe I'll try.