• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Hey all, I could do with some help right now

R

Rooooo997

Hi, I'm having a bit of a hard time today. The pattern is always the same and I'm yet to find a coping strategy.

My trigger is always the house. I have had this problem since I can remember. I look around and have a huge desire to have my house looking a certain way and then get frustrated because I can never seem to achieve what I want.

I paint, strip and hang wallpaper, buy new carpets etc and I'm still never happy. Everything I do feels like a tiny drop in the ocean of a huge huge job.

My house is disgusting yet I can't seem to clean it ... Why? I don't know why. I never know where to start. It always feels like everything is such a big job.

I moved out over 20 years ago and am yet to have my home how I want it. I don't know what to do. I know the problem is me, I have some sort of issue. I crave my own space, my own house and a small place at that but I have a family and would never leave noatter how strong the feelings get.

I am using alcohol again to cope... A vicious cycle that happens every time. I am nearly 40 and need to get a grip but this temporary depression I fall into is so so bad that I have even been suicidal about it.

I know how lucky I am, I feel so grateful for everything I have and this OCD problem totally contradicts who I am/want to be 😔

Any advice would be so grately appreciated. Right now I am drunk and have fallen out with everyone here because I have been horrible. How do I accept that my house isn't ever gonna be perfect and be ok that's my kids have so much stuff?

I really want to change but everywhere I go I feel like crying

B

BlueWater

I get a little like this with chaos. It'd be nice to have a house that is minimalist, neat, no clutter, no excess of anything and basically always looks like a hotel room with clear surfaces. But that will never happen, even if I lived alone. In the back of my mind, I think if only my house looked like these images then I'd feel calmer, my mind wouldn't race and I'd sleep. Probably I wouldn't because I was either born with OCD or at the very least developed it after some stressful teenage years. No matter what changes my OCD will look for something else to feed its quest for certainty and perfection.

S

strongeagle

I experienced the same thing sometimes. I live in my significant other's house and I get frustrated because she is not that organized. I want to have the house in a certain way but she does not allow me to do that. What I do to cope is to go out to the park and exercise. after that I feel much better.

R

Rooooo997

Thank you for your replies. I know this problem is me and not those I live with. I need to accept that and stop trying to change/control them.

I do feel better after exercise so will perhaps try to do more of that to combat my mood. It's just sometimes gets so overwhelming that I'm literally paralysed.

And yes I agree, if the house wasn't the issue it would feed off of something else

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Hey!! Please help me Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
F idk hey Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
C Hey Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
I Please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 10
C Rocd storm unlike anything I've ever experienced..please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
G Please help broken promise to god Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
A Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
C HOCD into something else? Help please Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
D Can anyone help me as I’m in a panic attack? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
J Maybe hoocd? Please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
L New to Forum and looking for help with Pure O Contamination....life is tough Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Please can someone help ? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Can anyone help me? Please I’m struggling Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 14
C Do you think I'm Ocd? HELP! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C I'm going crazy.. Help Me! (Ocd) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
C Please help me !? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
G Please help. Ocd COVID disaster :( Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
T Please help me, my brain hates me (HOCD) [NSFW] Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
E Ocd Panic please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
C I need help on this one ( OCD ) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B Which meds help your OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
O Worried I want to be the opposite gender vs. being attracted to opposite gender? (TOCD) - please help. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
Tawny How to Help Yourself with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
S New themes... Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C OCD about children, do you think this is real or not please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
O Transgender/Gender OCD. Please please help! (longer read, but tried to organize!) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
A False memory OCD please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
E HELP!! i am losing MY SANITY! WAS THAT A NEW COINCIDENCE!??????????????? I CANT UNDERSTAND! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J Can’t Find Help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
G I just need general help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T HOCD my long and difficult battle with “futa” please help (long read sorry) *NSFW* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S help is it ocd or just anxiety? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
E Real event ocd - any help appreciated! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
E Dealing with OCD, help, i'm afraid i'm gonna end my life Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
R No help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Wife is sliding ever deeply into OCD. Please help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
T A half false memory I have that’s making me more confused HOCD (need help) *NSFW* Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
F Please help its for my little girl Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
Q Help!!!!! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
S I have ocd, help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
October Rust going to try to get help because i deserve it Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
Z Help. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
T Please help, how do I get over this (HOCD) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 0
L MEDICATIONS that help/effective for OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
L Help! Think I'm in a ROCD relationship Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
L Help, please? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
D Ocd religious help! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Resisting compulsions and suffering greatly help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
B Recently diagnosed need help and advice on cheating OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Can anyone help me. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3