• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

We are an actively moderated forum. We work hard to keep the forum safe.

To access many more features and forums please register now

Heres the thing

N

nevaeh

Since I came out of hospital a series of events have happened that have caused me to become more depressed consequently I stopped training as I lost alot of my interest I have also put on alot of weight due to meds. I am due to start university in september and I was thinking of starting to train again I have found a few classes that are run in the area. At the same time I have this whole paranoia that people know everything about me and are laughing thing which causes me to become quite defensive I guess and I can foresee that making friends may be abit difficult for me as nowadays I tend to be in my own little bubble. I just wanted to know if anyone had any ideas as to how I might be inspired and really motivated to train again this is something(dance) I have done for 20years and I don't want to just stop completely. Nevaeh :)

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Nevaeh,

I share your problems with motivation and am not sure how you would generate or rekindle your inspiration and motivation (if you come across it let me know!). One thing you could do would be to list all of the benefits of the training and compare them with the costs of the training. Write them down so you can see them on a piece of paper, positives on the top half of a page of paper, negatives on the bottom you could then get an idea of why you would want to start training again. Hopefully all the positives would visibly outweigh the negatives!

Another thing you could do is to try some visualisation of you at training - use your list of positives to create a little film of yourself taking part and experiencing all of the positives, try and 'turn up the volume of those positives' so that they are really prominent... a bit like turning up the colour control on your TV to make the colours brighter and richer - make the positives really stand out, play the film through and try to see and feel yourself there experiencing all of the positives.

The other thing to think about is suggested in your question itself. When you say you don't want to stop completely, what options are there for doing less than you were doing... so stopping most but not all. You can keep your toe in the water and then as and when you feel better you can increase the amount that you do, doing less can make it less daunting and increase your motivation. Any chance of that?

Whatever you do - goo luck and let us know how you get on.

Take care, Honey.

N

nevaeh

thanks honey those are some really good suggestions I think I will try them! and I will definitely let you know !

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Good luck! I have my fingers crossed for you.