• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Herbal Remedies and Alternative Therapies

S

skyblue

Hiya :)

I have Bipolar and Anxiety - I've been on various different medications for 17yrs now and I really don't like the thought of having to rely on them. I also worry of the long term effects these medications may have on my health and so I've recently decided to go medication free.

Just for backup, I would like to know others experiences in what has helped them with their anxiety using alternative therapies.

Thanks in advance :flowers:x

T

TOONAFISH

i have had reiki a couple of times, for me it helped me have a cry and released all my emotions. it really helped me and it lasted a week or so (that was when i was really quite ill). i think sky as you are feeling not to baad just now, it would last longer. also you can get oils for an oil burner, you get ones to relax you. i use orange oil as it really makes me feel happier, and its supposed to be an appetite supressent. (altho not working to well at the moment ha ha)

i would like to try accupuncture too, just never have spare money at the moment.
xx:)

N

NrLondonGuy

I am am having accupunctuer and accupressure and it really has help no kidding. I will be seeing some accupuncturist guy in London next week also who does this thing where he puts a tens machine on certain points on your legs and feet and it really sedates and calsm you down. Seeing him after I heard about some schizophrenci guy who came out of hospital and was manic, nothing coudl calm him down not even medicaiton and he saw this guy and it calms him down comepltely. I'll let you know if it works for me if I remember as anything like that sounds good and definatley worth a try.

J

JAMES10

On a personal level, I always prefer making exercise the main ingredient in any plan to conquer anxiety. It really helps to relax the mind and relieve the feeling of uneasiness. Its the most natural of the lot and must say it really works!

However, some one I met by the way has tried Aromatherapy and was quite impressed. Aromatherapy, is used to help ease mild anxiety and depression by changing your mental state with the scent of essential oils. A popular essential oil to start with is lavender. This popular oil is used in aromatherapy to relax the mind and body by increasing the alpha waves in the back of the brain.

N

NrLondonGuy

On a personal level, I always prefer making exercise the main ingredient in any plan to conquer anxiety. It really helps to relax the mind and relieve the feeling of uneasiness. Its the most natural of the lot and must say it really works!

However, some one I met by the way has tried Aromatherapy and was quite impressed. Aromatherapy, is used to help ease mild anxiety and depression by changing your mental state with the scent of essential oils. A popular essential oil to start with is lavender. This popular oil is used in aromatherapy to relax the mind and body by increasing the alpha waves in the back of the brain.
Any tips for someone who knows excersie helps loads for anxiety but can't get seem to get their arse to the gym even though its less then 5 mins walk away from my flat.

S

skyblue

Thanks for your replies.

I was a qualified Aromatherapist and worked in self employment about 10yrs ago now. I say was because I haven't worked in this field for quite sometime, and I've forgotten all what's what :oops:. I am currently looking back into it and am going to order some good quality essential oils online.

Aromatherapy alone doesn't help me though, I need a combination of therapies and remedies together. So I'm also looking into Accupuncture and Accupressure.

I try and exercise everyday down the gym for 1hr and this helps me immensely. So much so, I now want to train in the fitness industry. I do feel so relaxed afterwards, it's just ashame it only lasts for a couple of hours or so.

Although these techniques help relax my mind, it still doesn't cure my mind and so I still need to learn different ways in how to cope in bad situations that can happen in life - Not to become so sensitive and dwell. My emotions can sometimes be so overwhelming, I feel like I'm losing control.:(

NrLondonGuy - I hope your appointment with the Accupuncturist goes well. Let us know how you get on.

Take good care everyone and thanks so much for your replies.