Helping a friend

M

MissAnxietyUK

Hi guys,

So this is the first time iv ever posted on a forum and it’s mainly more for my boyfriend rather than myself. We’ve been together for 6 years in a healthy relationship. Iv noticed throughout he has had signs of depression which I won’t go into detail about but it was only last year he went to get help about it. He first went to his doctors who said they couldn’t do much, I wasn’t with him so I don’t know what exactly was discussed but they recommend him to CBS. I done CBS to help with my anxiety issues and found it amazing but they didn’t get back to my boyfriend for 6 months now it has almost been a year and still no help. He won’t return to the doctors as if it was traumatic for him I guess the whole stigma with men and mental health makes it hard and he already feels failed by the system. I’m especially worried after today because he exspresed thoughts about harming himself and I want to do something to help but not sure who to turn to. If anyone could suggest a company or number that would actually help that would be amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MissAnxietyUK

Thank you for the reply this was very helpful I want something more long term that could deal with the situation before it escalates but that link was very useful and I will consider it in the future

L

LouiseMN

Thank you for the reply this was very helpful I want something more long term that could deal with the situation before it escalates but that link was very useful and I will consider it in the future
And maybe you can talk him into joining the forum? He is lucky to have you but here he can find others like him. Another idea is for him to read Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy. It is not new, it was written in 1980 about CBT. My therapist recommended it to me, and it is good.

It is so hard to see a loved one suffer when there is nothing you can do to help. I know from having a daughter with bipolar disorder. She is a success story (see on bipolar forum) and he needs to hear these stories. There is hope.

mischief

mischief

Admin
An alternative route your boyfriend could use to get help would be referring himself to a NHS psychological therapies service. He can do this without seeing his GP. You can find details here:

Find psychological therapies services - Introduction - NHS

It's useful to know that one has a choice of services you can use on the NHS - if one has failed you try another until you find one which works for you. Details can be found here:

How to access mental health services

The NHS website has some useful information on depression:

Living with Depression

Another service which is available both on the NHS and privately is the online Psychiatry UK service which offer confidential and secure video consultations with GMC registered psychiatrists on any device.

Psychiatry UK - Online Psychiatry - Private Psychiatrists

Does that help? or are you looking for something else?

One other thought, some people with depression have a physical health condition called sleep apnoea. A recent study of people with sleep apnoea reported that 46% of them experienced depressive related symptoms. If there is chance of sleep apnoea it could be worth getting checked out for it. Treating it makes for a huge difference in ones life.