• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help

J

Julz7

I'm 53 and been on venlafaxine for depression for 7yrs, but just lately I find myself worse than ever. I dont want to get out of bed and sometimes I lay there till mid afternoon before getting up. When I do get up all I do is go on my computer and waste time doing nothing. I haven't got any motivation, nothing is getting done, I dread husband and daughter coming home from work because that means I have to cook . I just want to be left on my own to do nothing.
Has anyone been through this and come out the other side? If so what can I do?

F

fair&square75

Hi Julz7, welcome to the forum �� I have recurrent depression and can totally relate to what you say...sometimes when I'm poorly (my depression is not bad at the moment due to new antidepressants) I just want to sit in my bedroom alone,I hate interacting with people in the house when so low and sometimes have to fake it....i have had a few bad episodes but I always seem to come out of it eventually with the help of medication.....maybe you have built up a tolerance to your medication? Sorry you're going through this,its the worst thing in the world to me and I wouldn't wish it on anyone,sending u my love x

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Maybe time to speak to gp for a review of meds?
Has anything significant changed to cause this? I too love to be alone and not having to fake happiness as its so tireing

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and :welcome: to the forum.

Of course we can only give our opinions on here. Winter and this time of year is hard for a lot of people so it might be the long dark nights making you feel down, especially if you aren't getting out and about and absorbing any sunlight. Not a dig because I know how hard it is to get yourself up when you are feeling so bad.

What dose of Venlafaxine are you on and how long for? I'm asking that because maybe it's stopped having so much of a affect, like your body has got used to it and could do with a kick as such.

Also have you had any talking therapies at all?

Sorry to ask loads of questions.

Take care

Marliee x

Sparklypurplepaws

Sparklypurplepaws

Hi and welcome!
I can totally relate to how your feeling, especially with kids coming home - I dread it! I do manage to get up for the school run, but then I'm back in bed till the afternoon school run.
The logical sparkly advises to set yourself little targets to do during the day - really simple tasks like tidy out a draw or pay a bill. You can then work on these more and more as you feel up to it. You also need to acknowledge the things you do do - like getting up and cooking, it's a huge task when your feeling this low so you should be pleased with it.
Be kind to yourself too - a bath, some nice food, a book, trashy mag anything that floats your boat!
Take care

Xsparkly x

trinny

trinny

venlafaxine made me so numb i really could not engage in anything much but function basic stuff ask for a change not all meds aggree with everyone when i took the plunge to take meds , had to change several times to find one that aggreed. worth an ask keep your chin up your not alone

J

Julz7

The venlafaxine dose I am on at the moment is the lowest dose 37.5mg. Over the 7 years I have been on 75mg and 37.5 up and down however I've been feeling. I am also on amitriptyline low dose but not as an anti depressant but for helping me to relax at bedtime. I find the high dose of venlafaxine gives me constipation, but if I dont take it at all its like I have IBS and my bowels are unpredictable.
Years ago I used to be able to get the whole house cleaned in one day, now I'm lucky if I can be bothered to get the hoover out at all. If I do hoover, then its never enough because I think its not enought because I didnt dust or mop. As for being kind to myself, I do that all the time LOL I eat too much especially chocolate, I read magazines, watch soaps and programmes I love.
Every night I tell myself I need to get up early to do all the jobs that need doing, then don't.
I tell myself to lose weight and eat sensibly, but can't.
My doctor has no sympathy for my weight issues or mobility problems because losing weight and exercising will magically improve everything. I am registered disabled and am in pain alot of the day, I can not walk very far but she insists the more I exercise the better I will feel, when if I do try, the pain is so bad I cant stand at all.
As for talking therapies, I dont find them helpful as I dont like talking to people and the last therapist I saw spent most of the session talking to me about her own problems!

Nothing has changed, I have absoloutely no reason for feeling this way.

Maybe I will go ask my GP what she thinks.
Thanks

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Everything in moderation is ok. You say youre registered disabled and the pain effects you, what exactly causes pain if you dont mind me askin?
Do you feel a stepper would be too much exercise?
If you could start at say ten mins then see if you can increase a minute a day?
Swap your chocolate for dark as its 'better' for you and maybe use it as an incentive. Say if you manage to do some exercise or hoover the house treat yourself to a square? Little steps in the right direction make it more manageable. Youll feel good to when you achieve goals you set so don't make them unrealistic!! :)

J

Julz7

Hi,
I have osteoarthritis in hips, knees, joints of feet. I had gout which left me with painful joints and I have plantar faciitis in both feet. My leg muscles are very weak and I have to go upstairs on all fours because my legs wont lift me. I am quite unsteady on my feet and do sometimes fall, I can't get up without help.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Are you on any pàin relief? You can get patch's for artheritus that release morphine that I'm told are very effective.
So a stepper wouldn't be ideal for you. A lady I support goes to a gym and they have arm peddally things there, is that something you think you could manage? Is exercise something you would like to try? Does your gp offer you any support to actively loose weight?

J

Julz7

I'm on co-codamol at the moment which does take the edge off it but it tends to make me feel a bit 'woosy'.

The trouble at the moment is I'm stuck indoors, my daughter uses my car to get to work (full time 40 miles away) hubby works full time, so I dont have a car till weekends :( I cant get on a bus or black cab cos my legs go and I fall. If I could get a piece of gym equipment in the house then I probably would use it. My GP suggests going swimming, going up and down stairs, walking etc. I have been refered to a weight loss clinic in Birmingham for gastric surgery. So I guess its all down to me and at the moment I'm in the 'can't be bothered with anything' stage.

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

maybe.shes.a.wildflower

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Personally I'd never go to the gym as there's too many other people there. Do you feel you are ready to start looseing weight? Im slightely disapointed you've not had more support in terms of dietician or personal trainer just surgery :(

J

Julz7

The weight clinic first visit is with a dietician who basically told me in order to have the surgery, I would have to show that I can control what I eat and drop the chocolate. I have to lose weight in order to be considered for surgery. Herein lies my problem... I go because I cant lose weight and they tell me to lose weight. Go figure :/ I dont think I can accomplish anything at the moment.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Depression Forum 3
Fairy Lucretia Depression Forum 18
A Depression Forum 0
M Depression Forum 4
Anxiety girl 84 Depression Forum 27