• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Help with walking down the street?

viveka

viveka

Hi, I'm Viveka and I'm new to this forum. :) I've been struggling with severe agoraphobia for nearly 2 years, was home-bound for 2 months, living with OCD for as long as I can remember, depression for 3 years, anxiety also for as long as I remember. I'd really like to get outside more and start being able to walk down my street, alone, again. I'm able to do it fine as long as I'm with my father and very close to him the entire time. I can only get as far as my front yard before panicking and running back inside. I've been doing exposure therapy for almost 2 years, and recently it's been going really well. So I have some strategies on how to go about this, but I'm just using this forum to my advantage to see if any other agoraphobic who has struggled with this as much as I have has any tips? Thank you all in advance, and I'm very excited to be a member of this forum.

P.S - kind of random but if anyone has any song recommendations that relate to agoraphobia I'm open to hearing them, I love music and I would love to hear suggestions if you have any! :thanks:

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

00Bluejay7500 (was Scapes1986)

Welcome to the forum. I’m sry no one has responded. I don’t suffer from this but I do get social anxiety. I find deep breathing and taking things one step at a time helps. As for music goes, try the “what are you listening to” thread. Members often post how they are feeling and how it helps kinda music

good luck
🔹

T

Twinkle Toes

when I was mobile I used a walkman with music I knew for calming effect and cutting out too many environmental sounds that might trigger panic or some other way to block too many sounds. Having someone with me helped or like if I knew I had to get on a train getting someone to drop me off at the station helped cos I'd started the journey then so had to finish it.

Once I had mobiity problems it was harder cos then I got a fear of falling cos people won't just help you upto get up they insist on phoning an ambulance which triggered more panic for me so for years I wouldn't go out unless someone was with me. .my dog was my saviour I had to walk her so got myself a bigger mobility scooter it seemed to give me more confidence than a chair, it was bigger so I was easily seen by traffic but also I could get away quicker..like if I was walking her and there were a gang of kids ahead if I could disappear down another road or shortcut I would, cos I reasoned I could pretend thats the way we were going anyway or the dog wanted to go that way!

Soon I cottoned onto if I pretended my dog was reactive people would give us a wide berth as some people seemed nervous of her anyway (she was a large black dog) so I'd come up with some excuse if a nosy neighbour said she heard me leaving the house at 6.30am ... I'd say dog was getting reactive cos someone else had left their dog attack her! ..so we had to get out while it was quiet! ..also meant I ran into fewer people!

I guess basically making sure you can get away and don't feel trapped helps

J

Jolly

Baby steps a bit at a time. May be one more step then another the next day. Sorry could not help more

viveka

viveka

when I was mobile I used a walkman with music I knew for calming effect and cutting out too many environmental sounds that might trigger panic or some other way to block too many sounds. Having someone with me helped or like if I knew I had to get on a train getting someone to drop me off at the station helped cos I'd started the journey then so had to finish it.

Once I had mobiity problems it was harder cos then I got a fear of falling cos people won't just help you upto get up they insist on phoning an ambulance which triggered more panic for me so for years I wouldn't go out unless someone was with me. .my dog was my saviour I had to walk her so got myself a bigger mobility scooter it seemed to give me more confidence than a chair, it was bigger so I was easily seen by traffic but also I could get away quicker..like if I was walking her and there were a gang of kids ahead if I could disappear down another road or shortcut I would, cos I reasoned I could pretend thats the way we were going anyway or the dog wanted to go that way!

Soon I cottoned onto if I pretended my dog was reactive people would give us a wide berth as some people seemed nervous of her anyway (she was a large black dog) so I'd come up with some excuse if a nosy neighbour said she heard me leaving the house at 6.30am ... I'd say dog was getting reactive cos someone else had left their dog attack her! ..so we had to get out while it was quiet! ..also meant I ran into fewer people!

I guess basically making sure you can get away and don't feel trapped helps
Thank you! My dog is very energetic so he might cause more stress for me but my cat actually loves being on a harness outside so I will attempt to take baby steps down my street with him. :D