• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Help with this diagnosis please?

T

tony2010

Hi. I am a 22 year old male from Glasgow. Over a month ago i was discharged after a 6 day spell in a psychiatric hospital with depression as well.I am currently on Citalopram 20mg which i have been on for approx 9 months or so.When i left the hospital this treatment has continued.The form i took to my GP said that my diagnosis is(and i quote) "Recurrent Depressive Disorder - probable Bipolar Spectrum".Does this diagnosis mean i have Bipolar or possible have Bipolar?I see a psychiatrist at the end of the month.Thank you for reading and i appreciate all your answers

W

Watercolours

It means that whilst you have been in hospital they have assessed you and noted you are depressed, ‘Recurrent Depressive Disorder’ means they must be aware you have had more than one episode of depression.

The fact they have put possible ‘Bipolar Spectrum’ means that you don’t have an actually diagnosis of Bipolar yet but they are considering it, i.e. they need to monitor you more possibly in outpatients or via the CMHT but they might already be aware of a mood disorder, i.e. if you have talked with them and given them signs of ‘highs’ or ‘hypomania’ they will be looking at a diagnosis of Bipolar.

It would be a good idea to speak with your psychiatrist explain you read the letter he asked you to pass to your GP and you would like to know more about how he has come to the conclusion of a possible diagnosis of Bipolar... it’s always good to ask questions.

T

teddybear2067

=)

All psychiatrists have to diagnose you according to the DSM-IV, so they probably can't diagnose you properly until they match up the criteria. It's a weird system really, considering people are all different, but it seems to work...
xx

S

suzy

It says possible so they don't know

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
G best friend with bipolar disorder abruptly dumped me, help! Bipolar Forum 16
N where to start with asking for help and getting an assessment for bipolar. Bipolar Forum 10
S please help Bipolar Forum 4
M Help Bipolar Forum 1
B Re: my partner doesn't understand nor help. Bipolar Forum 3
B My partner doesn't understand nor help. Bipolar Forum 9
M Help Bipolar Forum 6
S I need help. I don’t need help. Bipolar Forum 8
S Can someone help me understand what I should do? Bipolar Forum 14
M How do I help someone with bipolar? Bipolar Forum 10
Marly92 Bipolar and amphetamines HELP Bipolar Forum 9
U Need urgent help Bipolar Forum 46
h_put2021 Need help Bipolar Forum 5
C ** Please Help me ** Needing opinions on wife's mental state... Bipolar Forum 10
K Need help regarding how to respond to my wife's last outburst Bipolar Forum 11
D Need help understanding Bipolar Forum 10
K I need help.. Bipolar Forum 13
Y Help! My boyfriend is bipolar Bipolar Forum 9
S Help My Husband has Bipolar and I dont know what to do Bipolar Forum 5
J lithium is making my hair look crazy :( any ideas to help? Bipolar Forum 3
S Some help Bipolar Forum 4
HLon99 Excessive Sleeping Help! Bipolar Forum 1
M I am bipolar type 2, and my younger brother was now recently diagnosed with type 1. Please help. Bipolar Forum 2
HLon99 Help for a friend who is seeing ghosts Bipolar Forum 3
W Help ... Doc wants to change my medication from Seroquel to Rexulti Bipolar Forum 3
D I HAVE A FORTHCOMING CAMPUS FINAL YEAR EXAM depression or ANXIETY... PLZ HELP Bipolar Forum 9
M Help with thoughts.... Bipolar Forum 4
Canadian74 New Here, I need Help Bipolar Forum 10
F I am SO MEAN to my boyfriend...help! Bipolar Forum 5
W Couple Needs Help Bipolar Forum 3
S need help with SO who is bipolar Bipolar Forum 11
W How do I help my brother. Bipolar Forum 4
AnxiousE Definitely hypomania - please help Bipolar Forum 37
J Hello need some help Bipolar Forum 1
J Recent Bipolar diagnosis - girlfriend split up with me Bipolar Forum 24
B New experience and diagnosis Bipolar Forum 2
Sea_Green Cyclothymia? Diagnosis? Treatment? Bipolar Forum 4
S Recent Diagnosis Bipolar Forum 14
F My fiancee has left the country due to depression and immediately received a Cyclothymia diagnosis Bipolar Forum 1
P Did you disclose your diagnosis with your employer? Bipolar Forum 14
G Getting a cyclothymia diagnosis Bipolar Forum 6
W Scared to Tell the Truth. Scared of diagnosis. Bipolar Forum 5
Boudicca My Counsellor and I think I might be Bipolar. I’m too scared to get a diagnosis. Bipolar Forum 46
HLon99 Bipolar disorder diagnosis Do you tell your friends? Bipolar Forum 28
Zana Bipolar Diagnosis Advice Bipolar Forum 3
C Need some input please Bipolar Forum 9
D I need some advice please Bipolar Forum 15
B Advice Please Bipolar Forum 3