• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help with obsessive thoughts

I

ilovekyloren

Hello there!
I am 19 years old and I recently have been diagnosed with OCD. And one thing that has been bothering me a lot are my intrusive thoughts and obsessive behaviors, like reassurance seeking. What has triggered this was my best friend, and I need help.
They tweeted about their other friends, dont tweet about me ever, and say they love me more than anyone else. But I just cant stop thinking about the tweets and I told them it hurts me and they keep saying I dont have to bother about it. What are your thoughts about this? Are they lying to me or a tweet doesn't matter? Note: I dont have twitter.

bpd2020

bpd2020

Hello and welcome to the forum. I am sorry you feel hurt by your friend. Your friend has told you they care about you so trust in that. I think it is good you are not on twitter as it can make us feel very anxious.

D

dhs94

Obsessive thoughts are no fun, and I was around your age when I was diagnosed so I get that it's a hard shift to make in your life right now. What I think you'll learn overtime is that there's a difference between what you obsess over and what is actually real. This is probably the hardest part of obsessive and intrusive thoughts; but recognizing that there's a distinction is the first step!

As far as feeling better regarding your friends, if you feel comfortable, I would try being as honest with them as you feel safe. Sit them down, and even without getting too specific if you're not ready, say "Hey, I'm going through some stuff right now. I would love if we could all spend a little more time together to help me feel better and focus on our friendship." Most good friends will want to be there for you!

Good luck, it's going to be okay!