• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help with my mom

T

tee123

Hi everyone, I don't know where else to get an answer because no matter what I search for, it just exacerbates the problem. You'll see what I mean in a bit.

So, my mother seems like a normal person on the surface, but out of nowhere she's begun to spout completely insane conspiracy theories that you'd hear a cartoon hobo with a foil hat say. Things like Obama is gay and Michelle is actually a man named Michael. She doesn't shut up about The Illuminati and the government's plot to kill us all. This has all come out of nowhere, and she's only started to act like this recently. My dad still treats it like a joke, but we're all starting to get worried.

As a child, she had no problem giving me all sorts of vaccinations, but now she seems to think vaccines give people AIDS. Even though I'm living proof that she's completely wrong. Now, she's even posting videos on Facebook that are actually making fun of people like her, but using the "facts" presented in the videos as 100% truth.

I'm starting to get scared. She doesn't listen to anything we say anymore, stating that we're all "sheeple". She's obviously dealing with some sort of paranoia and I'd really like to know if there's anything we can do to help her.

Oh, and when I mentioned how I've searched online? Yeah. It's all more conspiracy links that would do nothing but make her beliefs more hard-rooted.

Kerome

Kerome

It might pass after a few days, or it might not. There are mental health conditions which make you much more accepting of whatever you read or hear as truth, if you look up delirium or psychosis with delusions you'll find a lot of material on the subject. It's not illegal, after all lots of people believe strange things, but you can get in touch with the GP or the local mental health crisis team, who might offer some medication.

You should keep an eye out for behaviour where she looks like she might "harm herself or others". This is the critical point where mental health services will consider sectioning her and keeping her temporarily as an in-patient at a mental health facility, if necessary against her will. This doesn't mean she has a specific mental health condition, people do occasionally suffer a single psychotic break, which the medical profession will register as "psychosis (not otherwise specified)".

You might also want to keep a journal of everything she does that is weird or against her previous personality. It could be useful later.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Very much agree with Kerome.

It's possible that this could be a phase rather than a sign of mental illness.
It may just be that these are her beliefs now, even though they may seem "crazy" to the average person. There's a very fine line with these things.

The key thing is to look out for other signs of illness. Also, to see if these beliefs are affecting her behaviour or ability to live life.
Is she depressed or in a low mood? Is she her self-care or personal hygiene suffering? Is she feeling personally persecuted? etc.

It must be frustrating for you. However, as I said, a doctor would say that these kind of beliefs (while unbelievable to some) are sort of mainstream-ish. It's about context, I think.

T

tee123

Thank you for the response. The thing is though, my sister has a history of mental illness after being normal for years. Out of nowhere she began to use drugs, attempt suicide, self harm, scream about Satan telling her to murder, and other such nonsense. She would steal knives from the kitchen and my parents would get so scared that they'd call the police. Unfortunately, mental healthcare in the States is terrible and the only way my sister could get treatment is if she were to commit herself. She never believed anything was wrong with her, but she's changed. Now she's lethargic and has put on lots of weight.

I'd like to help my mom early because having one uncontrollable family member is bad enough. I'm assuming the mental illness is hereditary and my sister furthered her descent with her drug use.

I've also had a history of suicide attempts. Luckily I have friends to help me, but the only person my mom has is my dad. Just like my sister, none of them have any friends due to their extremely judgmental behaviors which I've discovered is another symptom of a paranoid personality disorder.

Last edited by a moderator:
dermild

dermild

Hi everyone, I don't know where else to get an answer because no matter what I search for, it just exacerbates the problem. You'll see what I mean in a bit.

So, my mother seems like a normal person on the surface, but out of nowhere she's begun to spout completely insane conspiracy theories that you'd hear a cartoon hobo with a foil hat say. Things like Obama is gay and Michelle is actually a man named Michael. She doesn't shut up about The Illuminati and the government's plot to kill us all. This has all come out of nowhere, and she's only started to act like this recently. My dad still treats it like a joke, but we're all starting to get worried.

As a child, she had no problem giving me all sorts of vaccinations, but now she seems to think vaccines give people AIDS. Even though I'm living proof that she's completely wrong. Now, she's even posting videos on Facebook that are actually making fun of people like her, but using the "facts" presented in the videos as 100% truth.

I'm starting to get scared. She doesn't listen to anything we say anymore, stating that we're all "sheeple". She's obviously dealing with some sort of paranoia and I'd really like to know if there's anything we can do to help her.

Oh, and when I mentioned how I've searched online? Yeah. It's all more conspiracy links that would do nothing but make her beliefs more hard-rooted.
I've heard all of these precise things [in bold], some from my mother, and almost all of them from her boyfriend. I also get to listen to him carry on about how much he "hates effing liberals" and how "Agenda 21 is going to be enacted soon."

Obama is still a "secret Muslim" and still VERY relevant, apparently with more power than the sitting president. His "Muslim agenda" has been put to work, and is still in effect.

My mother will talk about "how smart" certain people are, such as Sarah Palin, Michele Bachmann, and Trump. She doesn't seem to see the issues that I see with regard to assessing how smart someone might be. They sound like idiots, and she can't hear it.

I even get to hear that "Obama is a demon," and the proof is that "a fly landed on him."

I KNOW EXACTLY WHAT CAUSES THIS

They're being brainwashed by certain "news" outlets, such as Fox News and Alex Jones. They sell fear, they sell conspiracies, and they utilize a method known in marketing as "engagement." This is also practiced on online news outlets, as well as on Facebook.

"Engagement" is all about getting people angry, afraid, or upset. The more angry, afraid, or upset they are, the more time they spend on that story, as well as on related stories from the same source.

The bad news is that this will not pass after a few days. My mother has been like this for a few years, but her boyfriend has been like this for 8 years. He might have a touch of Alzheimer's as well, because we have the EXACT same arguments and the EXACT same conversations every six months.

It's getting more and more difficult to visit with them, and each visit is worse than the previous one. I'm dreading the upcoming holidays, and I'm caught between a rock and a hard place. My brother is dying, my sister died on June 30, and I'm the only living child left.

On the one hand, Mom needs me there. On the other hand, she's probably going to crap all over me with the same garbage as last time, except more rancid.

There is a great movie called "The Brainwashing of My Dad," which will explain what has happened, in greater detail.

It's a sad thing, not only because it's destroying families, but it's also destroying societies.

exyz

exyz

Dermild, are you ok? not trying to stop you posting or anything but a bit concerned,

This thread is an old one from 2014.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Butterfly_girl People 9
Murasakibee People 8
Talina People 3
Talina People 5
midnightphoenix People 30