Help with hygiene

S

SweetTea

hello i don't if this is the right place to post. i have a hygiene problem, i am a young adult i haven't washed in close to 9 years and I don't no what to do about it and i haven't come across this issue in the forum yet, so i wanted to know if anyone has any advice or there own experiences.
i wouldn't say when i am depressed.

Sorry if this disgusts anyone.

G

Girl interupted

Do you have access to a bath or shower?

Typically you would use soap in the shower, you turn the bar of soap over in your hands under the water until you get a lather and then put it on your skin. Then rinse it off with water. Then you take some shampoo, just a little bit in the palm of your hand and run it through your hair, and rinse it off until there’s no more shampoo soap.

As a young adult, you will likely need deodorant, you can buy that at the chemist, and you roll it on under your armpits.

Those basic steps will help you feel clean and will do wonders for your mood and self esteem.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
it is not disgusting but it would help you feel better even if you bathed just once a week
im sorry you are going through this

maybe try a sink wash to start with
let us know how you get on? love Lu xxx

L

Lunar Lady

hello i don't if this is the right place to post. i have a hygiene problem, i am a young adult i haven't washed in close to 9 years and I don't no what to do about it and i haven't come across this issue in the forum yet, so i wanted to know if anyone has any advice or there own experiences.
i wouldn't say when i am depressed.

Sorry if this disgusts anyone.

Hi Sweet Tea

What has prevented you so far, sweetie? Have you got a phobia about washing or is this a symptom of depression?

You're not disgusting at all and we're all here to help xxx

S

SweetTea

Do you have access to a bath or shower?

Typically you would use soap in the shower, you turn the bar of soap over in your hands under the water until you get a lather and then put it on your skin. Then rinse it off with water. Then you take some shampoo, just a little bit in the palm of your hand and run it through your hair, and rinse it off until there’s no more shampoo soap.

As a young adult, you will likely need deodorant, you can buy that at the chemist, and you roll it on under your armpits.

Those basic steps will help you feel clean and will do wonders for your mood and self esteem.
Only have a bath, don't bath every day. Would just use a wash cloth.

S

SweetTea

Hi Sweet Tea

What has prevented you so far, sweetie? Have you got a phobia about washing or is this a symptom of depression?

You're not disgusting at all and we're all here to help xxx
Well at one point i just stopped i used to be very hygienic. i don't think it's a phobia as once in a blue moon i would wash. i haven't been diagnosed with depression so i can't say. it more like i just don't. For all i no it maybe lazyness.

L

Lunar Lady

Perhaps just start with warm water - your skin won't be used to soap and it could be very drying and irritating to your body. :hug:

J

Jules5

You have a lot of caring people of this forum who are not judging as we have our own demons to deal with. hugs

EddieH

EddieH

When I was having problems washing my doctor told me to hop in the shower fully clothed, never tried it but maybe you could try that.

P

Pinkrose721

I wash with baby wipes and antibacterial hand soap that doesn't need water. Maybe you could try that?

S

SweetTea

When I was having problems washing my doctor told me to hop in the shower fully clothed, never tried it but maybe you could try that.
So our but don't have a shower. But thank you for the advice. Did your doctor recommend anything else?

sadpunchingbag

sadpunchingbag

I know my depression is bad when i don’t wash for days dude I’d really consider getting admitted into hospital as a informal patient it is working wonders for me I don’t want to say to this and try that because 9 years is.extremely long I personally force myself they are the worst feeling the weight of the water added with depression just makes me cry while I am doing it

M

MissyMaude

If I go longer than a couple of weeks I’ll make myself have a bath or shower between times baby wipes or a flannel. Try to keep it up hun

C

celticlass

Hi. I haven't been around on Forum for a while. They call me Celticlass. Depressed all my life sigh - it comes n goes. Sounds like something is getting the better of you xx I'm 62 now - birthday last week. It REALLY has taken me a long time to learn (and I mean this for you in the most gentle, kind way I know) that making my body, face and hair look and feel as good as I can (and some days I sure don't win ha!) makes me FEEL BETTER on the inside too. I really did not twig it until a few years ago lol! So there is likely a lot to chat about and your starting point is the bathing - that's good. You've managed a bath a few days ago. Excellent. Rubbing some lovely moisturising oil into that skin would maybe feel great? Come chat to us when you can. We care xx Little bit at a time maybe. A little personal care goal each or every other day.

P

Pollypop

I also use baby wipes mostly. I can’t truly remember when I last
had a bath or shower.
I promise myself that I will but then don’t.

An even bigger problem is washing my hair.
I dread it.
It looks disgusting.

I feel angry, disgusted and lazy with myself.

Amorerose

Amorerose

It's okay, you can always create a new pattern for yourself but it takes time. Maybe if you find something that feels good about taking a bath, then it will help. You may have to force yourself into it first and it will feel like a chore but it might become more appealing after awhile. I always get excited with essential oils and bubbles for baths. Even lighting a candle could be very relaxing.

I know that when I didn't understand how to care for my hair or what products to use, it made washing more annoying. Maybe a good step would be to find a really good smelling soap that you love. You don't need to worry about multiple products at first, I honestly use shampoo as body wash sometimes.

Also when you say you'll take a bath, then run to the bathroom and quickly turn the water on. Then you'll need to turn it off and it will become a habit to start the process. It might help.

Also I don't think it's you being "lazy". When I was very depressed I had hygiene problems as well. It is common and you're not alone. Believe in yourself. :)

P

Pollypop

Thank you so much for your reply Amorerose.
I’m sorry it’s taken me so long to reply, after such
brilliant suggestions, kindness and understanding
you showed.

It’s hair washing day today. I’m determined. x