• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help with GAD and fear over nothing

W

wpark2419

I have GAD as well as panic disorder. I can worry myself sick over something small but my biggest problem is the fear over nothing. That feeling that somethings wrong or impending doom. Makes me terrified but I can never figure out what to do because I don’t know what’s even causing it or what I’m worried about. I know that’s the main symptom of GAD but every book I read tells how to stop worrying about things. What do you do when you’re not worrying about something? When it’s literally out of the blue and suddenly you just feel terrified but of nothing? I feel like my worlds about to come crashing down at any moment and I’m just absolutely terrified. I used to take Lexapro but stopped about 4-5 months ago. I started on a small dose again yesterday. What can I do to not feel this way? Thank you

Jam1990

Jam1990

I feel you. I have fear over nothing a lot too. Medication has certainly helped, but I hate feeling fearful about things too. It physically causes my stomach to tie itself in knots. Hope the lexapro helps!

W

wpark2419

I feel you. I have fear over nothing a lot too. Medication has certainly helped, but I hate feeling fearful about things too. It physically causes my stomach to tie itself in knots. Hope the lexapro helps!
I’m sorry you suffer too. I would take physical pain over the fear any day. It’s literally terrifying. Lexapro used to help before I stopped so I hope it helps this time.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

I also live with GAD, I empathize with your frustration over free-floating worry, unattached and appearing by chance.

I've learned some techniques that help me cope. I'll either begin by calming my mind or by calming my body--clicking down the distress in one affects the other. Learning early warning signs was integral to these practices and that required me to raise my level of awareness.

What have you tried apart from medicine?

P

Pollypop

I also live with GAD, I empathize with your frustration over free-floating worry, unattached and appearing by chance.

I've learned some techniques that help me cope. I'll either begin by calming my mind or by calming my body--clicking down the distress in one affects the other. Learning early warning signs was integral to these practices and that required me to raise my level of awareness.

What have you tried apart from medicine?
Would you like to share any of your techniques in detail or is it just
a personal thing for each person to work on for themselves and find out what works?

Most things seem to mention breathing or meditation but I just can’t get the
hang of these.

W

wpark2419

I’ve tried meditation but can’t seem to get the hang of it. Seems like such a simple thing but I just haven’t been able to do it. I’m currently working on deep breathing

irwin

irwin

I was worried about some really stupid thing last night when I was trying to fall asleep. It was a deadline that's weeks away for something that I don't even have to do, but I was worried about it. WTF is wrong with me? Jeeze, I'm f*d up sometimes.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

Would you like to share any of your techniques in detail or is it just
a personal thing for each person to work on for themselves and find out what works?
Yes, and yes. I'm not certain but I suspect that a suite of techniques effective for calming one's mind and body are bespoke. But that doesn't mean we shouldn't share what seems to work, because inspiration and all that.

Stuff that calms my mind:
  • Going out for a brisk walk while listening to music. While I'm walking, I take notice of the environment. Observing, not judging.
  • Distracting with aromas. What happens when you tear open the peel of an orange and that strong citrus smell wafts up into your nose? What goes on when you open a bag of fresh roasted coffee beans or nuts? A spice jar containing cloves?

Stuff that calms my body:
  • Vigorous exercise.
  • A warm shower or bath.

Stuff I do when I'm near an anxiety or panic attack:
  • I take two ice cubes, place one in each hand and squeeze until they're melted and my attention is fixed on how cold 🥶 this feels.
  • I take a handful of the strongest flavored mints I can buy and pop them in my mouth. Hold them there until I can't stand it any longer (mouthwash also works).
  • These items and more are part of my "crisis kit".
  • Whatever my mind was occupied with before, I ain't thinking much about it anymore whilst mouth is full of mints and hands squeezing ice cubes.
  • Is this a comforting feeling? NO, I am beyond comforting when I'm near crisis. But, it is a better problem.

Most things seem to mention breathing or meditation but I just can’t get the
hang of these.
Okay nevermind meditation, is simple awareness something you might try?

When I wake up (whenever that is), before I start my day, I perform a "preflight check". Yep, like they do on airplanes.
  1. Experiencing any pain?
  2. Did I get enough sleep?
  3. What am I feeling in my body right now? Where?
  4. What am I thinking about of holding on to, from yesterday?
  5. What am I already concerned for, worrying about today?
  6. On a rating scale of 1-10 (10 being near panic attack), what number represents my anxiety level right now?
  7. What are two things I can do for myself before I begin my day that could click that number down by 1?

And I remind myself: "nothing works all the time. Something works most of the time."

Did you find any of this of use to you?