• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Help w a bipolar 19 yr old.

M

Mom in minnesota

Our son is Bipolar two, has had a severe depression episode and is now in his 1st (we believe) manic episode but does not know it. Not sleeping much if at all, not on meds, very Grandiose, a lot of energy and happiness, self-medicating with alcohol and marijuana. Getting more and more out of touch with reality. 19 years old. Should we admit him?

thanx!

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

Seems odd to me that he would have a diagnosis and no prescription for medicine.

Has he been diagnosed by a doctor?

M

Mom in minnesota

Seems odd to me that he would have a diagnosis and no prescription for medicine.

Has he been diagnosed by a doctor?
Yes. Diagnosed bipolar 2. Was given meds but stopped a few months ago.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

Call crisis team if you have reason to believe he is in crisis.

M

Mom in minnesota

We feel it is getting to that point.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

I have no clue how it is in Minnisota, but here they can put you on an involentary psych hold for 72 hours and release you on the condition that you take your meds. Then if you don't they can pick you up and give you med shots so you're not a danger to youself or others.

It can be kinda traumatic but its better than the hell that can be trying to recover your life after a mental illness has it way with you. Mania can be dangerous in ways one doesn't consider until it happens. At best, its just embarrassing; at worst, it can be life threatening.

Trust your instincts. He may not like you for it, but he may well need you to do something.

M

Mom in minnesota

Ok. Thanx. It’s so hard to know. But we feel he may becoming psychosis.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

Well if you're wrong crisis team will be like, "ok, mom is a worry wart." And go on about their business. No harm, no foul.

All I can say is the crisis team's intervention saved my life. I didn't like them when they did it, but I love my family for getting their help for me.

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

I'm in the states too. I would think you would have a local crisis intervention team. We do here.

M

Mom in minnesota

Well if you're wrong crisis team will be like, "ok, mom is a worry wart." And go on about their business. No harm, no foul.

All I can say is the crisis team's intervention saved my life. I didn't like them when they did it, but I love my family for getting their help for me.

Thanx. Did you know something was wrong at the time or did you feel you were perfectly fine and it was everyone else whowas wrong?

This seems how our son will react too. We hope. He won’t like it right now but will see we did it for him to help him because we care so much about him.

Does someone in manic know they are? From reading and research it seems a person during a manic doesn’t know they are manic. And that everything is just fine w them. Do you agree?
Our son believes everything is fine with him but everyone close to him can tell that he isn’t. Not even close to his normal self. It’s scary.

Thanx

Avolitionist

Avolitionist

My primary diagnosis is schizoaffective, and part of that is an almost complete unawareness that anything is wrong. That being said, deep down I understood something wasn't right.

M

Mom in minnesota

My primary diagnosis is schizoaffective, and part of that is an almost complete unawareness that anything is wrong. That being said, deep down I understood something wasn't right.
Ok. Thanx. So if he feels nothing is wrong during mania is that because of grandiosity ? Or the mania? Or something else like schizoaffective? I’m hoping we can get answer from the Docs.

K

keith74

Ok. Thanx. So if he feels nothing is wrong during mania is that because of grandiosity ? Or the mania? Or something else like schizoaffective? I’m hoping we can get answer from the Docs.

When you are manic, especially if it is the "happy" kind, then you actually fell really good. So not only do you feel like nothing is wrong, but you want that happy feeling to keep going as long as possible. If it is the "angry" mania, then you feel like everyone around you is the problem and causing you grief and that if they would just "go along with the plan" then everything would be great.

When I pushed for my wife to get hospitalized during her last manic episode, she was furious beyond words. She wanted a divorce on the spot! But after her mania subsided, she realized she needed it because she can now accept she was out of control.

M

Mom in minnesota

When you are manic, especially if it is the "happy" kind, then you actually fell really good. So not only do you feel like nothing is wrong, but you want that happy feeling to keep going as long as possible. If it is the "angry" mania, then you feel like everyone around you is the problem and causing you grief and that if they would just "go along with the plan" then everything would be great.

When I pushed for my wife to get hospitalized during her last manic episode, she was furious beyond words. She wanted a divorce on the spot! But after her mania subsided, she realized she needed it because she can now accept she was out of control.
That’s great she realized you were helping here and doing what’s best for her. We hope our son will too.
Thanx!