• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

help u stop self harming????

H

HONEYSWEET

what can u do to help u stop self harming, wen that intense feeling takes over and yr on the edge, where can u run too, what can u do, what helps stopping u self harm?

Q

quality factor

what can u do to help u stop self harming, wen that intense feeling takes over and yr on the edge, where can u run too, what can u do, what helps stopping u self harm?
With me it's either willpower, which is hard, or I try to distract my thoughts to something else.
I have been fighting another bout of SH for the past 3 weeks now...nearly gave in yesterday but managed to ride the storm.
For anybody who's not been there it's very hard to fight the urge, to say the least.:evil:
QF.

R

riverofdragons

before my phyisical health made it impossible i used to go for a brisk walk. helps especially when its cold out.

sometimes a shower helps now...or strangley scrubbing the kitchen or bathroom.

LaraSam

LaraSam

for me, I use ice on my wrists cos it hurts but is not harmful.. try it it helps!

S

*Sapphire*

Try holding onto a bunch of icecubes really tight, it will hurt but not harmful.
Twanging elastic bands on your wrists.
Drawing your pain on your body with felt tip pens.
Have a list of at least ten things you will commit to do before you do it, that may help calm you down, like taking a bath, reading a book, listening to music, include in that list ringing a friend or relative. Hopefully when you get to the end of that list the urge will have past. It invariably does, self harm is often an impulsive action.
If it does not help you keep committing not to do it for the next ten minutes, when you get to the end of that ten minutes commit to the next ten minutes. In the meantime try make sure you are around someone else and if you can't take yourself to a&e or to the doctors and explain how you feel.
I used to self harm but keeping to the above principals helped me to stop and i haven't done it for ten years even though sporadically i still do get urges. The moment of relief is not worth the lifetime of scars.
I hope that helps :)

H

HONEYSWEET

thanks for replying guys :)

what if u dont self harm for the pain?
i really cant stand pain and dont self harm for the pain. when i self harm i rarely feel it. i self harm badly to escape the intensity in my head to the point im less with it. i know i do it, its the hormones going nuts but until a gp takes me i have no treatment and need to find another way to stop the severe self harm?
xx