• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Help to deal with

J

Jimyjamez

Help learning how to deal with girl friend hears voice in her head tell her what to do .and it tearing us a part
HOW do i get her help

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Help learning how to deal with girl friend hears voice in her head tell her what to do .and it tearing us a part
HOW do i get her help
Doctor supervision and medication. And lots of patience

T

Tvgirl

ACCOUNT CLOSED
HOW do i get her help
She needs to see a psychiatrist and start taking meds. And also therapy.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
Meds aren't always the answer, according to sources like the Hearing Voices Network only in roughly 10% of cases does medication stop voices completely, for me they just quieten down my voice to a level that I can cope with, so if your girlfriend is struggling with them they may help or they may have little or no effect.

In some cases meds can make voices more aggressive so that's another thing to consider. My voice often has swearing fits and verbally abuses me and when he isn't doing that he's begging, nagging and whining about being on medication.

Without knowing what her voices are telling her to do I can't really advise you very much. I hope if she's receiving commands to harm herself or others she can resist, often these types of commanding voices stop after a while and they change tactics.

Unfortunately this is something you both might have to come to terms with and learn coping strategies.

I do hope you can both get through this and save your relationship, she really needs supportive people around her right now.

You have my best wishes.

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Meds aren't always the answer, according to sources like the Hearing Voices Network only in roughly 10% of cases does medication stop voices completely, for me they just quieten down my voice to a level that I can cope with, so if your girlfriend is struggling with them they may help or they may have little or no effect.

In some cases meds can make voices more aggressive so that's another thing to consider. My voice often has swearing fits and verbally abuses me and when he isn't doing that he's begging, nagging and whining about being on medication.

Without knowing what her voices are telling her to do I can't really advise you very much. I hope if she's receiving commands to harm herself or others she can resist, often these types of commanding voices stop after a while and they change tactics.

Unfortunately this is something you both might have to come to terms with and learn coping strategies.

I do hope you can both get through this and save your relationship, she really needs supportive people around her right now.

You have my best wishes.
There is no cure though and coming from a family full of schizophrenics the only treatment is doctor supervision with medidication.

NWiddi

NWiddi

Forum Safety Team
I've heard that around two thirds of voice hearers never seek out mental health services or go on medication so they must be able to cope with negative voices or they have a more positive experience.

Not all voice hearers are diagnosed with schizophrenia, I'm not and the psychosis that I was diagnosed with seemed to be temporary or they wouldn't have discharged me from my mental health team, my voice however seems to be permanent.

But as I said I'm on medication and they allow me to cope with my voice far easier than without them, I wouldn't be able to function without them so I can't knock them completely but for quite a few people the benefits are far outweighed by the side effects so they choose not to take them and instead employ a vast array of coping strategies instead. Some can reason with their voices and some ignore them, I ignore mine completely.

I have twice weekly video chats with other hearers from around the world and roughly only half of them are on meds.

So what I'm trying to convey is while meds suit me they may not be the 'be all and end all' for all cases, to me hearing voices doesn't always mean meds, psychiatrist and a rubber stamp with the word schizophrenic on it.

@Jimyjamez I can recommend a book called 'Living with Voices - 50 Stories of Recovery' that may help you both come to terms with your girlfriends experience.