• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help those with BPD

R

researchassistant

Hi there,

I'm working as an assistant to a psychologist in NW London who is conducting research that investigates how people with borderline personality disorder (BPD) recognise emotional facial expression.

It's a simple study done on a laptop, where you identify the expressions and ages of some faces, and then you fill in a few questionnaires. The questions are not intrusive, your data is completely anonymous, and all the information is kept under lock and key.

We aim to submit the results of this study for publication, because we want to contribute to a greater understanding of BPD and we want for you to be offered better help and support.

There are three groups of people taking part in our study: 1) People who have a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder, 2) People who are experiencing psychological trauma (this includes any of the following: anxiety, OCD or PTSD), 3) People who do not have a BPD diagnosis and are not experiencing psychological trauma.

If you are interested, or would like more information, please please just ask. We're very grateful for your time.

Thank you.

R

Roxy

Founding Member
I'm also very interested, keep me posted please!(y)

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi there,

I'm working as an assistant to a psychologist in NW London who is conducting research that investigates how people with borderline personality disorder (BPD) recognise emotional facial expression.
Hi researchassistant!:welcome:

Can you tell us more about the research. Some questions that come to mind are how were people with borderline personality disorder involved with designing and developing the research?, has the research been approved by an ethics committee? How do you expect the study to lead to a greater understanding of borderline personality disorder? how will the research assist in people experiencing borderline personality disorder being offered better help and support? and who is funding the research?

R

researchassistant

Questions answered!

How were people with borderline personality disorder (BPD) involved with designing and developing the research?
This study is shaped on past research with people with BPD; studies tend to follow on from each other because they create new questions.

Has the research been approved by an ethics committee?
Yes, the National Ethics Service has approved our study.

How do you expect the study to lead to a greater understanding of borderline personality disorder?
We are studying the responses of three groups of people: 1) People with BPD, 2) People experiencing psychological distress (anxiety, obsessive-compulsive disorder or post-traumatic stress disorder), and 3) People without a BPD diagnosis or current psychological distress. We know that people diagnosed with BPD often find it difficult interacting with others, and we want to know why, so we're looking to see whether those with BPD interpret emotions differently from people not diagnosed with BPD.

How will the research assist in people experiencing borderline personality disorder being offered better help and support?
If we can identify factors affecting the difficulties experienced by those with BPD, we can target those factors for treatment. Furthermore, greater knowledge leads to enhanced understanding, so we can be more supportive of those with BPD.

Who is funding the research?
This research is NHS-funded; this is rare, which demonstrates the considerable potential benefit to those with BPD.

Thanks to all of you expressing interest in this research. Any more questions? I'm more than happy to answer them!

D

Dollit

I don't have BPD but I do take part in a lot of research in my illness and I always want to know who the lead is (i.e. their name & background) and where they are based. I like to find out a little about them as taking part in research is quite a leap of faith.

R

researchassistant

A little about me

Hi Dollit and everyone out there reading this!

I understand that you'd like to know more about me, and I agree that taking part in research is a leap of faith, which is why we're so very grateful to anyone who offers. I haven't put any details about myself on here yet, as reigstration with this website advised against posting too much personal information that could be found by search engines.

My name is Diane, and I'm a psychology graduate from the University of Exeter. I'm working as an assistant to Rita Intili, a Consultant Clinical Psychologist at Northwick Park Hospital in Harrow in NW London.

What else would you like to know? :)

D

Dollit

That's great - it gives you provenance so to speak! Whilst we advise people in being guarded on the information they give on the website we also have to be able to check out people who say they are researchers! Thanks for the information and good luck with the research!