• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

HELP, THEY SENT HIM HOME !!!!

Atalose

Atalose

My husband has been hearing voices that are saying really mean and hateful things to him. He hears them inside the house and outside. He believes the voices are real people. A few days ago things got really bad. The voices started saying that they were coming to get him and he believes them. He started leaving the house so they wouldn't be able to get him. The other morning I woke up about 6 am and he was gone and didn't come back for 6 hours. He didn't have his cell phone because they can hear him through it, so no way to call him. When he returned he said he didn't know where he had been or what he had been doing. The rest of the day he kept saying he had to go because they were coming to get him. I was worried and took his keys. He asked me every 15 minutes for hours "where are my keys". I told him i was scared for him to drive and if anyone came to the house we would just talk to them and figure out what was going on. He had barely slept in days and he hadn't eaten anything for a couple days. I went to his parents and we took him to the emergency room, which was the easy part because he agreed to go just to leave the house i believe, it took a couple tries but his dad finally convinced him to go in and not walk back out, his dad went with him. They took blood and called a crisis counselor to do an assessment and she sent him home with a referral.
He is sitting in the living room holding his head crying. All of a sudden he yells well come on and get me then. I asked him what was going on and he said he couldn't tell me but he would when it was all over, he won't tell me when what is over. He won't tell me what he is hearing or feeling or nothing. He just says he can't talk. He also said he wouldn't go back to the ER tonight. He has agreed to go to see the dr. on the referral they gave him. I have no idea how long it will take to get him an appointment.

mandy125

mandy125

Hello Iam sorry your husband is suffering like this 😔
It sounds a good idea to take his keys to stop him from leaving the house..
Have you written down his symptoms so the Dr has something to go on when he is talking to him.

Something similar happend to me except I thought I was being stalked. I went to a n e and am now moving on from supported living.

I hope he gets the help he needs all the best m x

Atalose

Atalose

Hello Iam sorry your husband is suffering like this 😔
It sounds a good idea to take his keys to stop him from leaving the house..
Have you written down his symptoms so the Dr has something to go on when he is talking to him.

Something similar happend to me except I thought I was being stalked. I went to a n e and am now moving on from supported living.

I hope he gets the help he needs all the best m x
I don't understand why they didn't do more at the hospital. Because of the new rules with corona I couldn't go back with him so I don't know what was said. He could have made it out to not be as bad as it really is. I am going to call the mental health in the morning. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me.

mandy125

mandy125

Do let me know how you get on are you in England? They are usually pretty good at a n e I'm sorry you are going through this
I do feel like you will get somewhere though x

Atalose

Atalose

I am in the USA. This is the hardest thing I have ever had to deal with. Everything he does and says is about these people he hears talking. I have told him I believe he hears them and that I can't image how he must feel but that I have a different idea about what it means. I keep telling him we are safe and I will do anything to help him. He believes that he is truly being spied on and someone is planning on coming to our house to do something to him. It is impossible for me to understand and so hard not to loose my temper. I pray he gets help today.

Atalose

Atalose

I have noticed he gets very emotional about the voices and what he thinks they are planning but that's the only thing he cares about. He does and says things that hurts other people. Is this lack of emotion something that goes a long with hearing voices and the delusions surrounding them?

mandy125

mandy125

Okay 👌 let me know how you get on. I know how scary it is for both of you

I think you'll be okay once he admits he needs some sort of medication or therapy to help him. You can talk to me if you need too x

mandy125

mandy125

It could be a delusion I can't say without knowing his diagnose s x

Atalose

Atalose

I have read everything I can find on this and some say not to talk to the voices and others say it's ok to talk to them. What is your opinion? He has started talking to them even when I'm in the room. Is this a bad thing?

JessisMe

JessisMe

I have read everything I can find on this and some say not to talk to the voices and others say it's ok to talk to them. What is your opinion? He has started talking to them even when I'm in the room. Is this a bad thing?
You need to call your local mental health crisis team right away because your husband is a danger to himself and others. The level of fear and irrational anxiety he is demonstrating combined with his leaving and disappearing for hours at a time, trying to take thr keys and drive off himself with little to no sleep makes him a danger. It is a dangerous situation for everyone and your husband needs to be hospitalized because he is in psychiatric crisis. Please call your local mental health care crisis team and explain to them the situation and that you do not feel safe. It is up to the screeners whether they will recommend a hospitalization. They need to know the reality of the situation not just whatever your husband has to tell them because, as you say, his thinking may nit be clear. I hope you are able to locate someone who can help you on the mental health crisis tesm very soon. xo, j

JessisMe

JessisMe

Your local NAMI (National Alliance for the Mentally Ill) is an advocacy agency and does not take crisis calls but they do run support groups for individuals and for families affected my mental illness. If you give them a call they might be able to provide you with additional recommendations or
support:

Atalose

Atalose

I am taking him to the local mental health facility first thing in the morning.
I really don't understand something though, he says he wants to go but then he says I am wrong about the voices not being real,he knows it's real people plotting against him. I am not sure what he thinks is going to happen when he goes to see the doctor.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

He may lack insight into his condition, many of us do. It's good your taking him in the morning, good luck.
My family had to get me help because I was not aware of what was going on.
Please if he gets worse tonight call 911.
Take care

M

Maria08

First time I went to a doctor I had no insight and was doing it to please others. Another time I wouldn’t go and the police and ambos came. Thank you for getting him help. Try and take some time out for yourself, I remember my carer losing her temper and it just destroyed our relationship. (Understandable burnout but things were just never the same).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Takingmybrain Hearing Voices Forum 33
I Hearing Voices Forum 2
S Hearing Voices Forum 5
B Hearing Voices Forum 3
R Hearing Voices Forum 2