• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Help regarding a loved one with Bipolar 1

A

Agapemou

Hi Everyone, I'm new to this forum and wanted to reach out to ask for any advice to help a loved one who has Bipolar Type 1 in getting help. My loved one is my brother who is in his mid 40s and was diagnosed with his condition a few years ago when he just turned 40. The situation that I'm in is that after my brother had been on medication for nearly 3 years he slowly drifted off medication in June of last year and has been off medication since that time. I and our parents encouraged him to get back on medication but sadly he did not wish to. He finally left our parent's home where he was staying in early September and has been living in hotels in a nearby city since then. Today he has come back home. Although my parents and I are excited to see him we are trying to figure out how to approach the next steps in the conversation without triggering him. We think when he had made the decision to leave abruptly it's because we triggered him by trying to get him back on medication so taking that into mind we clearly don't think it's a good idea to bring the medication up but we know that he needs to get some sort of treatment and medicine. When he was on medication he was totally fine and it was working well. Through several appointments with his doctor he slowly decreased the dosage to the point it wasn't helping him no longer and he finally made the decision to go off of it. Any help and advice is greatly appreciated! Thank you so much and God Bless you!

A

Agapemou

Hi is there anyone that can help with this situation?

Thank you

W

Wintergirl

That’s definitely a tough one. Someone in my family (sort of, it’s complicated) is also bipolar and refuses to take his meds. We have been calling the police when being off them makes him become aggressive or when he gets so bad that he is not looking after himself to the point it could cause him serious damage. The police take him to hospital, where he is put back on the meds and then a nurse attends the home daily for about six weeks to observe him taking them. As soon as the nurse stops attending he stops taking them.

I wish we could do something to help encourage him to take his meds, but unfortunately no one can be forced to, it has to be a patient’s choice.

I know that’s not what you want to hear, but if your brother has support, whether that’s counselling or family or doctors, hopefully he will feel in a place where he can talk openly and make the decision that is right for him

A

Agapemou

Hi @Wintergirl thank you so much for the reply and also sharing your experience. I totally agree with you that he must first want to take steps towards managing his illness. I'm wondering if there are techniques to gently nudge when they are not in that manic frame to really look at the consequences of their actions and for them on their own to dot the i's so to speak and make the connection between the cause and effect and come to the conclusion that they need to manage this through medication and therapy??

I know my brother is in denial of his illness but when he was outside of mania he was seeing a parallel.