• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

help please, i'm young and feel old and it makes me depressed

F

feelmucholder

I'm 23 and have all of the symptoms of GAD but don't have money or insurance to go to a doctor about it. I've heard someone associate GAD with feeling older than my age. Not physically older except fatigue maybe. I feel mentally older. Since I was little I've always felt older and awkward doing things people my age do. I want to feel mentally youthful while I'm young and still can. I do stuff young people do, go to concerts etc, I just don't feel young. I don't want to miss out on being young because I feel older than I am. Does anyone know how to cure this or what it's associated with? Thanks a lot. I know a lot of people go through it, I want to know what it is or if there is a name and some way to fix it other than doing things young people do, cause like i said i do things people my age do, but i still feel like im old. :/ please help me.

C

coraline1664

I know this feeling very well and have felt it from the age of about 4. I also suffer from anxiety disorders. I hadn't thought about the two being related.

I never felt depressed about feeling this way, only frustrated when I was instructed to do things other children my age did with the explanation 'these things are a part of being your age, enjoy them', even though I had already said I did not. Additionally teased by girls in my schools because I didn't listen to the pop groups aimed at that age group. I always thought those things were corny and would make comics featuring sarcasm and 4th wall humour.

I don't think there is a cure for it, do you think it is something that needs to be fixed?

Feeling mentally youthful can mean many different things, although I don't believe it should ever mean making yourself do things you don't enjoy. You are more likely to feel happier and enthusiastic if you live life as yourself, rather than a disheartened and weary state that could come about when forcing yourself to go out to clubs on a Saturday night, as just one example that came into my head.

Do you have interests of your own that you would want to pursue? Personally, when I stopped feeling that I was limited to what I could enjoy, and even feel by other people's opinions of me, things got a lot better in that respect. Of course I don't know the details and your other thoughts surrounding these feelings but that was how I used to feel which at the time added to the trapped feeling. There is an incredible feeling of empowerment when you develop your own interests and focus on who and what matters to you.

Do you actually want to be doing these things that make you feel this way? Do you feel that you shouldn't feel like this, or do you not want to feel like this?

Best of luck,

Elizabeth

F

feelmucholder

thanks

Thanks so much for responding, i guess depressed wasnt the right word. More out of place, sometimes sad and definitely frustrated. I do like to do things that people my age do. I love going to concerts and stuff, I do that stuff, have fun with it but still can't seem to feel young. I feel old within myself. Not at all physically unless you count fatigue, but old as in I like doing this but I feel too old to be enjoying it. Maybe because as a child I was always told to be the big sister be the big kid and the good influence. Maybe it's cause I was told to grow up and be mature always that I can't shake the feeling of being old. I think I need to feel my age, whatever it is. I'm 23 and feel like I'm 40's or something. It's weird. I don't think 40's is old, and I don't think I want to be immature at all, I just want to feel youthful. I know I'm still youthful and I want to appreciate it while I still have it and not feel old. I'm not quite sure how to change that or if I even can.

Thanks again Elizabeth.