• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

HELP! Phenelzine/Nardil info anyone?

B

bagpuss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi guys, I am very new to this sort of thing but am after some advice and any knowledge anyone may have please!

After many years of struggling with depression (varying forms we think!) it has now been suggested that I take Nardil/Phenelzine and after discussions with psychiatrist and someone I know I feel bloody petrified of them but am also aware that they may help me finally get away from this big black smothering cloud that surrounds me most days! Can anyone offer some words of wisdom or advice on them please? The reason I have been told about these is because I have been on many types of meds in the last few years and suffered some horrible side effects, I've had fluoxetine, citalopram, reboxetine and may others, this may be a last resort! Feel very scared but also know that I can not go on like this anymore! Would be much appreciated. x

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
Hi, i have been on this group of drugs (MAOI) for atleast 25 yrs. Like you I tried a number of different ADs until I was given Parstelin. I can still remember now how the cloud visibly lifted. After a number of years Parstelin was withdrawn and I went on Nardil. It didn't seem quite as good as the Parstelin but still worked for me.
The only drawback is watching what you eat as the list is long and still being added to but compared to the black hole there is no comparison and you soon get used to the dietry restrictions.
Good luck and take care
m

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
PS. At the moment I am on Moclobemide. Same group, not the stringent dietry restrictions and maybe not quite as effective for me but may be worth mentioning to your Doctor.
m

B

bagpuss

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Marchhare, thank you so much for replying. It's really good to know someone can actually say that they saw a marked improvement when taking these, you have put my mind at slightly more ease, although obviously still very worried about them. My main concern is, what happens to you if you eat something you shouldn't (if it's a hidden ingredient for example) and how it may affect me. I am aware that it will be trial and error but am concerned about how the bad the errors may make me feel to learn from it. Wish I didn't feel so scared about it!!!! x