• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Help or advice?

X

xlilhboox

Ok so I'm new to this, found the forum whilst having a browse online & well I sometimes hear voices when I'm trying to get off to sleep & it's usually female voices, haven't heard any recently but when I do & did that time it was quite muffled & then there was like a laugh, I had to kinda shake myself if that makes sense. I suffer from depression & anxiety & just really looking for help & advice, I'd be most grateful.

Kerome

Kerome

If it just happens once in a while you probably don't need to worry about it. There is a whole range of phenomena that happen when you go to sleep and wake up, it's called hypnogogia, you can look it up on Wikipedia. It's fairly common and some famous historical figures have cited it as an important source of inspiration for what they did.

If it does worry you, you could get in touch with the Hearing Voices Network. That is a grouping of people, many of whom are not diagnosed with a mental health condition, but who do sometimes hear voices. They have chapters all over the world. Or you could discuss what you hear on this forum, and people here will be happy to give you an opinion!

Medication is something that I wouldn't advise in your case. A doctor would probably call it a hallucination and prescribe antipsychotics, but those medicines often have significant side effects and can be difficult to come off of. So if the voices you hear are infrequent and don't really cause distress, I wouldn't go down that road.

And :welcome: to the forums!

Kerome

Kerome

You should be prepared for a bit of a learning curve though, if the voices become more frequent or start appearing when you are awake. Most people go through several phases, it's a bit like the grieving process. The stage to beware of is when you start making up explanations for the voices - they're telepaths, or ghosts, or whatever - and you start to get carried away with the story.

A more mature point of view is that the voices are just voices generated by your mind, either hallucinations or maybe something to do with the unconscious. That is a generally safe position to take, and try to listen to what they actually say, rather than to what you may have added yourself in order to make things make sense. Maybe look up zen beginners mind, that is a good example of the best kind of mindset with which to approach voice hearing.

Sometimes voices will say something to show that they have a deep insight into your mind or memory. This is not a bad thing. Perhaps there is something more to them then a hallucination. But I find it best not to speculate too much :)

X

xlilhboox

Thankyou so much for your advice, I appreciate it. It happens when I just close my eyes, trying to drift off, it happened last night, but it was just my name that was said & no one was with me & the tv wasn't on, it just confuses me slightly. But I will definitely have a browse online with the suggestions you gave me. Thankyou :)