• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Help or advice please

F

Forestdp

Hi all
I'm not sure where to begin with this. I'll try to keep it as short and to the point as I can.
I have a close relative in his mid 30's. We only see him maybe twice a year, as we live quite a distance away.
Over the years we have seen his behaviour become dramatically more erratic:
He believes people (his family) are plotting against him, he thinks a chip has been implanted in his brain (by his family) to control his thoughts, talks to people that don't exist, bursts out laughing (when he's alone), randomly shouts out nonsense, writes messages on walls in the house, keeps strange hours, the list goes on....
We have seen his marriage fall apart and his young children are afraid of him. He now lives with his mother, who understandably refuses to see the severity of the situation. She either doesn't know what to do or is in denial and buries her head in the sand.
We were staying with them for a few days recently, until he unexpectedly burst into an aggressive rage: He began screaming out profanities, arguing with himself, acted threatening towards us - saying he is going to get a gun and kill us all. We have heard he has 'aggressive episodes', but this episode really shocked and scared us.
We no longer stay with them in the house, but are terrified for his kids and his mother.
I have so many questions:
Is this schizophrenia?
Obviously, he will not seek help (he thinks we are plotting against him). Also, I don't think he believes he has a problem. What can we do? Who can we speak to?
Is he likely to harm someone? Or himself?
I understand that ideally to answer these question more information is required.
I am really worried and feel completely helpless.
Any help, advice or information would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks

L
How long has he been doing this, and does he use medicines or smoke weed.
This is serious. I would pray for him everyday. He is clearly delusional. good luck

F

Forestdp

Thanks for your reply Isurtees.
It's difficult to say. It has been very gradual, but it became noticeable probably about 8 or 9 years ago. He started to think people where passing messages when they coughed. Although this latest visit is the first time we have seen him aggressive and threatening.
Yes, he smokes weed. I know this can't be helping the situation.
Does anyone know of any kind of helpline or organisation we can contact, in the US, for advise?

T

tumbleweed13502

Thanks for your reply Isurtees.
It's difficult to say. It has been very gradual, but it became noticeable probably about 8 or 9 years ago. He started to think people where passing messages when they coughed. Although this latest visit is the first time we have seen him aggressive and threatening.
Yes, he smokes weed. I know this can't be helping the situation.
Does anyone know of any kind of helpline or organisation we can contact, in the US, for advise?
screw that call 911, this guy is completely detached from reality and is a threat to himself and others. he need immediate help before he hurts the people around him.

Gajolene

Gajolene

It's definately a disorder with psychosis and episodal rages. Huge red flags if he is threatening the family. He's demonstrating he is clearly a danger to others and most probably to himself. If you can, get him admitted as soon as possible. Call 911 or have police intervene and do it for you, make sure they know he is a danger to his family and if he is suicidal tell them that also. His mum is probably afraid of the medical expenses being in US but that is not as important as safety for him and for the family. I would not attempt to call ambulance without police attending as he could and probably will get extreamly aggressive, especially if he has no insight into his illness "thinks he's fine" and is not aware that he is ill. This should of been done a long time ago. Hoping you and your family are safe. Let us know how it goes.

Gajolene

Gajolene

He believes people (his family) are plotting against him, he thinks a chip has been implanted in his brain (by his family) to control his thoughts, talks to people that don't exist, bursts out laughing (when he's alone), randomly shouts out nonsense, writes messages on walls in the house,
We have seen his marriage fall apart and his young children are afraid of him
unexpectedly burst into an aggressive rage: He began screaming out profanities, arguing with himself, acted threatening towards us - saying he is going to get a gun and kill us all. We have heard he has 'aggressive episodes', but this episode really shocked and scared us.
In my opinion these are symptoms of psychosis, whether that is an episodal psychosis, or a permanent one is for his family and his doctors to decide and diagnose. He's lost his family and his children over this and left untreated could still escalate if he is left to his delusions and can't resolve them with some sort of open dialouge method.

In response to Nakita saying leave him alone. Considering his paranoia and rage episodes, do you really feel it safe him to be left on his own?. I would be worried about him getting attacked out in the community which we know happens much more than the understanding that we wish for people like him. You don't know the quality of life he has maintained either during those nine years. His mum whether in denial or fear it is not in a safe situation either way for her or him.

As to whether my opinion is valid on this, I'll let the original poster decide, I have history with sever mental illness in my family and extended family for the past 35 years. Starting with my brother in law with paranoid scitzophrenia, whose rages and delusions destroyed and eventually took his life from being left to his own devices.

My ex husband and father to my children who suffers with episodes of manic bipolar illness with psychotic symptoms and rages during his episodes. He left on his own has also destroyed his own life. He was very violent and abusive during his episodes and myself and my children had to flee for out lives to get to safety when I left after 13 year of coping with him refusing meds and relapsing several times a year.

My friend who was left undiagnosed till his mid forties and nearly died because he had barracaded and padlocked all his doors and windows to his flat for weeks and was starving himself to death for fear of his scitzophrenic voices and paranoia's getting in to harm him and voices telling him to kill his wife and child. He is doing well under medical treatment and lives independantly without aftercare now he is stabilized.

My son's one of whom suffers with sever disorganized scitzophrenia, who without medication requires institution for not being able to care for himself or communicate and is a clear danger to himself and my other son suffering with scitzoaffective who has made great strides towards full recovery with the help of medications.

Lastly the young man from last year I knew and was trying to help with another friend to convince him to get help. He was kicked out by family and left untreated, while developing his illness with paranoia's. His violent voices and thoughts led him to murder my other friend who was trying to help him in the midst of an irrational manic rage and now is spending most of his adult life in prison.

I do really think in my opinion as a non proffessional that this man does need medical intervention, or some counselling/a support group at the very least if he accepts he has a mental illness. The 911 route only if he is raging and dangerous, if he is not manic and raging, maybe he will be more open to seeing a doctor, but he won't be if he doesn't think anything is wrong. He will call everyone else crazy and say he's fine then.

I'm all for compassionate care and understanding, but it can only go so far with sever mental illness if violence and danger are imminent.

Last edited:
Kerome

Kerome

He sounds dangerously unstable to me, with the rages and profanities. He sounds paranoid schizophrenic, with delusions and possibly voices. But threats to kill are crossing the line, that's a criminal offence in itself already. He obviously needs help. In an ideal world that would be therapy and loving family, but from what you say his mother and children are more vulnerable than capable of offering him the firm guidance and support he needs.

It's a really tough call, because you might be responsible for ultimately breaking the family up and the kids maybe going into care, but I think reporting him to the police or mental health services is your best bet. He needs care. I'd also supply a longer timeline of his break down and what you've seen and heard from him over the years.

T

tumbleweed13502

Is it? Have someone violently sectioned & forced damaging drugs - terrorise & abuse them, physically, emotionally & mentally. Yea, it's great, very healing & healthy.
he is violent and threatened to kill his family members, he needs to protected from others and himself. you live in a fantasy world where psychosis can be reasoned with and treated with "love". people who threaten others with violence are criminals anyway, should cops not arrest people who threaten to blow up government buildings because they need "love"?

T

tumbleweed13502

people that threaten to kill their families need to be arrested, thats what society as a whole believes, thats why its a law. you seem to believe that psychotic people should be able to abuse their families at will, i think thats really stupid and society agrees with me, thats why threatening to murder people is illegal.

Last edited by a moderator:

cpuusage

ACCOUNT CLOSED
You know nothing really of the case & circumstances.

i don't share the mentality of label, lock up, drug up & fuck up, regardless, no, i don't think it really helps that many people, & it reflects a very uncivilised society. i think things should be taken on an individual basis, & steps taken to do what is best for the individual with the difficulties.

Last edited by a moderator: