Help needed

W

Wil2477

Hi, I only got my diagnosis last week but it explains alot about my life. Why I push people away and when I am happy I find ways to sabotage it.
How can I stop this behaviour, as I have a really good friend at work who knows about everything that is going on, but I'm now finding ways of driving a wedge between us.
Thanks

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Welcome to the forum
Hope having being diagnosed you will get more help.
We have a few members with BPD hopefully they will be able to answer you very shortly.
Take care

Lunus

Lunus

Hi, I only got my diagnosis last week but it explains alot about my life. Why I push people away and when I am happy I find ways to sabotage it.
How can I stop this behaviour, as I have a really good friend at work who knows about everything that is going on, but I'm now finding ways of driving a wedge between us.
Thanks
Okay, you probably know a bit about BPD now in that it’s a mixture of genetics coupled with an invalidating environment. I assume your doctor has referred you and that’s how you were diagnosed? Presumably they have recommended therapy? For BPD there’s one therapy that seems highly effective and it’s called DBT. Dialectical Behavioural Therapy. In this is a core component called Mindfulness. I suggest you Google search on these things to give you a better insight into your thoughts, for example your issues could relate to abandonment issues in the past, therefore you push people away before they can hurt you. I would highly recommend a book by Blaise Aguirre and Gillian Galen called Mindfulness for BPD. It will tell you all you need to know about the condition, why you act in the manner you do and how to become mindful to reduce your suffering. I do recommend you try self help as waiting lists for therapy are extremely long, that’s if your area even offers it.

G

Girl interupted

The diagnosis doesn’t define you. You are still you.

But it will give you context and understanding why you do what you do.

Get into regular therapy sessions. Find someone who makes you feel safe. You don’t have to stick with the first one you go to if they don’t make you feel safe.

Part of the process relies on your honesty in therapy, your courage to face past trauma, and your desire for change. It’s not for the weak of heart, but it will provide you with stability.

Lunus

Lunus

The diagnosis doesn’t define you. You are still you.

But it will give you context and understanding why you do what you do.

Get into regular therapy sessions. Find someone who makes you feel safe. You don’t have to stick with the first one you go to if they don’t make you feel safe.

Part of the process relies on your honesty in therapy, your courage to face past trauma, and your desire for change. It’s not for the weak of heart, but it will provide you with stability.
Your posts are always so thoughtful and kind. I just wanted to say thank you for being here. :hug::thanks:

G

Girl interupted

Thank you guys, I needed that today.

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi welcome x try and let your friend support you x it is good to have people who care and want to help
try and remember you are still the same person you were before the diagnosis
lots of love ,I hope you will find this place useful
Lu xxx