• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

help needed esa

S

salliedoll

good evening everyone newbie here looking for some information
at present i have been getting esa for 11 years now, and i am placed in the support group and i receive pip.also..i am thinking of getting married to my fiance who works full time , at present i live with my father who is disabled we are joint tenants ,, would i loss my benefits if i married.. any help will be grateful x:)

R

Rebeca1

Yes I think you would, try going to the citizens advice I think you would keep your pip tho.

T

Tabby 88

Former member
Benefits always change whether you get married or not.

There are different rule dependeing on contribution based esa or income related, however most will soon be on universal credit anyway.

Pip is yours and is not calculated in anything so you will never lose that and it will never be put down as income for you or dad or husband. It is irrelevant which is great.

ESA in the past, contribution based was for one year only if you were living with someone who worked and earned a certain (small) amount. I don't know about now.

Income related is different

It used to be anyway. You can have joint claims also. You should get married and live together if you wish, and not worry about problems afterwards. You will probably have less money because you will need less as you are sharing bills, some might say.

My sister and her boyfriend are on jsa and they have a joint claim. They have a similar amount of income as if they were not together.

Your best bet is to phone the dwp or speak to cab/phone cab.

W

*winofunk*

The first thing you should consider is whether or not the change in circumstances would trigger a new claim for Universal Credit. Examples of what changes trigger a claim for UC can be found at:

Universal Credit triggers - Entitledto

Even without the complexity of the change to UC, it is not an easy question to answer on here.

If your basic amount of ESA is contributions based then you will get to keep this amount, regardless of your partner's circumstances.

You may receive additional amounts of ESA as Income-Related ESA - the disability income guarantee (also called the enhanced disability premium) and the severe disability premium. These can be affected by your partners circumstances. When sharing a house with someone you can only be eligible for the severe disability premium if you live with someone who also qualifies for the severe disability premium.

If you are living with someone as a couple, married or not, your partners circumstances will be considered when assessing entitlement to income Related ESA. Their capital will be taken into account. If they work less than 24 hours per week, their income will be taken into account when calculating your Income Related ESA. If you are living as a couple with someone who works 24+ hours per week, you are not eligible for Income Related ESA.

As has been mentioned above, the best thing to do is get a local benefits advisor to go through it all with you.

S

salliedoll

x

thank you for taking the time to the reply its greatly appreciated

P

purpleorchid

It is pretty rubbish. Years ago when I lived with my parents (but still had to pay them rent) I was entitled to benefits if I was out of work. Now, because I live with my partner, I'm not entitled to a single penny despite not being in work. I was temping for a bit but the work has ran out and I'm struggling to find any thing else, it's hard enough I have been struggling with anxiety and depression for years, but now I can't pay anything and my partner doesn't exactly earn much to be able to pay full rent and all our other bills!! Talking about hundreds of pounds here.

This government is messed up. No wonder so many people are homeless!!

Last edited: