• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

HELP ME

Y

yikes1234

I am 27 and have a horrible phobia of stinkbugs. It has definitely gotten worse over the years due to multiple incidents. The incidents I'm about to describe happened when I ALREADY had a crippling phobia of them.
**Trigger warning anyone with entomophobia (fear of specific bugs).

Last year when I was doing my nightly routine of sweeping all the crumbs out of my bed, I found one in there under my SUPER heavy duvet blanket (before anyone comes at me for eating in my bed, just know that stinkbugs do not eat human food - only plants/vegetative matter; but these were cookie crumbs). How the hell did it even get under there? The bed was neatly made all day...and Next to it was a large spider......I'm too scared to even kill them, guys, so obviously did not sleep in my bed that night. Next day my friend checks the room and finds it in my pillowcase. Found one in my room a month later.

Fast forward 1 year - yesterday - I find one in my apartment and douse it in raid and throw a blanket on it. I find another one today in my room, and start sobbing and screaming, taped off the room and now about to pull an all nighter because I am not going in there and too scared to kill it. I know I need help and actually just signed up for therapy because of this.

I have no idea how this phobia started but because of bad pure bad luck, it's gotten very out of control.

Anyone else with a weird bug fear, and do you remember when it started?

1alternative

1alternative

Think about it from this perspective, the core issue you have is one of anxiety over the unknown and things you cannot control.
You happen to have latched onto stinkbugs but it could of been anything.
So, if you get help for controlling anxiety (clonazepam or even sertraline), you will find that your overreaction to stinkbugs dissipates.

Backwoods Beast

Backwoods Beast

Sounds really unnerving. I'm so sorry this has been happening to you.

I'm actually quite fond of bugs, and am the person everyone calls when they want one removed. Wish I could be of service but we're a little far apart... In seriousness, I used to get terrible claustrophobia. You know how I dealt with it? I volunteered to be a mascot - in a giant suit that needed a handler because once I was strapped in, I couldn't get out of it on my own. I had a few terrifying moments, but I learned to calm myself down and tell myself that my panic was irrational. Not only did I learn to master my fear, I also replaced something anxiety-provoking with something really fun and cool.

I know people who have grabbed their fear by the throat (so to speak) and embraced it wholeheartedly, with miraculous results. Is it possible to think up ways to ease yourself into releasing that associated anxiety? Perhaps learning more about the creatures and/or seeing them in a controlled situation? It's also a good idea to pick apart the root of the issue. Consider what your first experience with this fear was and how that plays a role.

Wishing you the best of luck! Here to talk,
Beast