• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Help me with 69yr old mum with Anorexia

2017Londonparent

I could really use some advice from anyone as my life is so complex that am struggling enormously.
I have two children one with special needs and live close to my parents of whom my father was diagnoses with alzheimers and my mother attempted suicide and has since been under mental health watch. However over the last three months her weight has plummeted and she is severely underweight and under eating. She mentioned she might have anorexia and mumbled she had it before. My mother has been put on antidepressants for 4 weeks now and seen a psychologist but only once a month. She sees her GP weekly but my father with alzheimers is her main carer and is not capable of doing anymore than trying to make her eat which is not working. He cannot get her out of the house anymore and she spends most of her days in bed. Her weight and apparent anorexia is a huge cause for concern but my sister and I are stuck as to what to do next as we have mentioned it to her psychiatrist but nothing has been done. Does anyone know whether she is anorexic form my description and my parents are strong willed and so hard for my sister and I to make them do anything they don't want to. How does one address anorexia properly in a 69Yr old woman and the harm to her is so much greater due to her age!!
Thank you for any advice at all? How do I talk to the GP about this more and what can be done to help her?

Last edited by a moderator:
BorderlineDownunder

BorderlineDownunder

I could really use some advice from anyone as my life is so complex that am struggling enormously.
I have two children one with special needs and live close to my parents of whom my father was diagnoses with alzheimers and my mother attempted suicide and has since been under mental health watch. However over the last three months her weight has plummeted and she is severely underweight and under eating. She mentioned she might have anorexia and mumbled she had it before. My mother has been put on antidepressants for 4 weeks now and seen a psychologist but only once a month. She sees her GP weekly but my father with alzheimers is her main carer and is not capable of doing anymore than trying to make her eat which is not working. He cannot get her out of the house anymore and she spends most of her days in bed. Her weight and apparent anorexia is a huge cause for concern but my sister and I are stuck as to what to do next as we have mentioned it to her psychiatrist but nothing has been done. Does anyone know whether she is anorexic form my description and my parents are strong willed and so hard for my sister and I to make them do anything they don't want to. How does one address anorexia properly in a 69Yr old woman and the harm to her is so much greater due to her age!!
Thank you for any advice at all? How do I talk to the GP about this more and what can be done to help her?

hello and I'm terribly sorry for what you are going through

Both of your parents need to be in Proper Aged Care Accommodation from the sounds of things, they are both becoming Unable to Care for Themselves.

Elder Care is quite complex and very full on, almost impossible for one person to do, especially a non-trained person.

My suggestion is to start trying to get your parents into Accommodation, these days there are couples units so they can probably stay together, but have proper help nearby.

This situation is just too complex for you to handle and I'm utterly amazed the GP hasn't already suggested they go into a Home.

You need to go higher, there should be an ElderCare organization that can help you. Some doctors should be stripped of their licences imho. :(

C

CBlack0

Yes, I also agree with you. Only proper care can help her parents. In this way, I think, she can get suggest from nearist hospital. They can also helps her in this case.