Help me, why do I keep thinking these terrible thoughts?

J

Justamum18

So, to cut a long story short, I suffer anxiety. I'm not sure what sort of anxiety or if there's another underlying issue I have or not because I haven't really ever opened up properly about all my thoughts, I'm afraid of being judged or loosing my family.
Anyway... Every time I read about something tragic happening ( murders, suicide, car accidents etc...) I just can't stop thinking about it. If it's a murder on say a family member, I imagine myself killing a family member or a family member killing me. If it's a car accident I hear of, I imagine it's me or my kids or my husband dying in that accident. A suicide, I imagine someone I live committing suicide or me comitting suicide and how it would affect everyone (I'm not suicidal). These pictures in my head can be very vivid and then I feel so upset and down that I have seen these scenes play out in my head. Its like I am so naive, I can't picture those things happening so I create scenes in my head and then I'm totally depressed about those scenes. (Hoping this makes sense). It's getting to a stage where I can't read the news or listen to any tragic stories. I always imagine the worst case scenario and I've learned to deal with that but I can't deal with some of the scary scenes I play out in my mind. I know they are all very unlikely in the real world to ever happen to me but how do I stop this?? Anyone else have this problem?

Fairy Lucretia

Fairy Lucretia

Forum Guide
hi ,welcome
im not a professional but that sounds like more than anxiety to me
if you are having thoughts of hurting others or of others hurting you
please contact a doctor as soon as possible and tell them what you have told us here
Lu x

Anon_21

Anon_21

It sounds like intrusive thoughts to me. You might look that up to learn more and hopefully find suggested tips for dealing with them. I believe talking therapy can help that. Sorry you're experiencing it.

frogsplash

frogsplash

Justamum there are various ways you can get help such as therapy or some meds, obviously this is troubling you greatly so you should seek help, we are all lucky there is help available to us for these kinds of issues. getting to the root of your problem will be really good peace of mind for you, rather than feeling overwhelmed and helpless each day. you could start off by going to speak to your doctor. dont worry they deal with this type of thing all the time and they will be very understanding and helpful.

J

Justamum18

Thanks everyone I know these thoughts are silly and just keep trying to tell myself that they're not real and not worry about anything but it's hard! I have a fear of going to the doctor, I don't want them to think I'm crazy! The doctor prescribed me beta blockers can't remember the name, but they only help if I'm having an anxiety attack, they dont get rid of my thoughts. I just wish I knew a technique to rid these thoughts or stop them occuring. :( The one I have most is me dying in a car accident! I have had a small accident before but nothing major. I think those thoughts stem from that because I'm so scared of loosing my family

L

LoveYourself

Its the same for me, for many years ive had all sorts of horrible, repetitive thoughts. We know they are not real but it can still be really horrible if you dont know how to deal with it. What ive read from various places is that accepting the thoughts instead of trying/wanting to push them away can help. Let them stay as long as they want to instead of wanting them away. It may sound backwards, but it what the experts say. I have all sorts of bad mental habits that have developed through the years, i have gotten better but my mind is still very ill. Ive promised myself to do my best all the time for the rest of my life and i keep promising it to myself.

PAULA120

PAULA120

I have a similar - maybe a little milder, but whenever this happens, it always thinks something else. I imagine a positive ending and I do not go back to it. Believe it is a much better way to get rid of these fears and intrusive thoughts

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Anxiety Forum 2
B Anxiety Forum 2
J Anxiety Forum 1
C Anxiety Forum 15
B Anxiety Forum 17