• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help me decide my career!!!

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

I'm going to school in the fall. I only have a year left then have my 2 year degree. It's in Psychology but I haven't taken a class since 2011 which ironically is the same year that I went to the hospital the first time.

I've thought being a nurse (which will only take me 2 years to achieve), phlebotomist, radiology tech, therapist, accountant (which I do not want to be anymore, not at all), anything that helps people, and am archaeologist. I love history. I've also thought of a cosmetologist.

I'm really leaning towards a nurse. I worked for 3 years in a local hospital as an admissions clerk. I saw a lot of things. Smelled a lot of things. But I didn't get to do anything fun. I was their first point of contact. I loved my job. Absolutely loved it. If I could go back, I would.

Help me decide!!! I have 3 weeks to decide my top 10 jobs that I want. Help!!

Toasted Crumpet

Toasted Crumpet

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I wish I could help I am in my 40s and still have no clue what I want to do in life. It sounds like you have some good ideas though and are strongly veering towards nursing? Over here I think they get potential nurses to work as healthcare assistants for a bit to see if it's the career for them, do you have something similar in the states you could do, maybe while you are at school?

H

Helena1

Forum Safety Team
a nurse sounds good. i have no idea about anything else. you could list 10 different types of nurses.

E

Emmarose35

Hi
I work as a nurse and it is a stressful job - highly responsible - running a shift and being the one everyone looks to is no easy job- I work in the uk and not sure how it is in USA .
U say u loved being admin - Id say work out what is was u loved about the job -
Try working some shifts as a nursing assistant - there u will get to really feel what being in the role is like and get to have more of a feel what it is like for the nurses.
Don't get me fully wrong the clinical side of the job ( as in hands on) and patient contact are good - I love working with the client grp I work with -
But the other side of the job - responsibility, politics, team , service pressures, hours, pay, stress levels, copious amounts of computer work , tiredness and under staffed busyness seem to overcrowd the good bit of the job.
Would I say to anyone to be a nurse no- maybe it is different in the U.S. and I would say get an internal view by being a na - get to view it with eyes open - talk to the staff about how they feel.
A see a lot of people going into this career essentially as a pull because of their own stuff - and so what happens is generally the demand of the job takes them away from dealing with their own mental / emotional well being - a way to block off if u like. Or someone like me where I am working on my issues and trying to get more functional and the stress of the job and dynamics is a real spanner in the works .
It's all well and good being sparkly and new in nursingb at the beginning ( many of us loved the training ) but a few yrs down the line it can be a real different story - many nurses I meet say they would like to get out of it.
The other health careers u speak of sound good - and probably better hours and better pay and less full on responsibility /
And the arch / cosmol wow - aim high ! :)
Why not do what we love rather than what are reson all circumstances dictate ( eg I am so much empathy for suffering I want to make it right )
This is my regret that I'm not spending time in a career that I aimed high in ( aside from mh probs) -
I too love archeology and the world around us- the arts - and floristry
And then the care time can be focused on purely you :)
Ps this of course is just my personal exp and what I have observed around me - I'm sure there are nurses who are happy and don't feel so much pressure. I am looking to go into community nursing in the future and I hope it will be easier ?

Kerome

Kerome

I think if you've tried enough things you slowly become aware of the things you enjoy about the job, if you are a people person, a creative, a problem solver, or a deep thinker. There are probably more but those are just a few streams. Then I'd make a choice and id take a cluster of jobs all kind of similar to make my top 10.

But really if you're already doing psychology, then why not have a look at psychology-related jobs and see what you can find out about them? Its already a job direction, and you'll make more money in the long run if you do a job related to your uni degree.

There are also lots of aptitude tests on the Internet which ask you questions about what you enjoy and try to measure what you're good at, and then come up with some mixture to try and find a job that you're going to be both good at and happy to do. You could visit a few of them, but take note a lot of these are intended for careers guidance after school and before university, so they may not be that suitable.

Or you could engage a proper careers guidance service, who will cost a little money but will write up a report for you. They will have their own tests and things, and it may come with an interview as well.

Hope that helps Linc :)

Lincoln1990

Lincoln1990

Thank you everyone :)

I'm going to take aptitude tests. That's a great idea!

I don't want to hate my job in a couple years.

I could do the training for CNA then see how I like it?

I hope to eventually work in a mental hospital if I go the nursing route.

D

Deliah

Go with what feels right. Ask yourself, "what feels truly best for me". Trust that the answer will be revealed to you. love D x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

I think taking some online tests sound like a good idea. There are some worthwhile ones to be found.

It can be overwhelming trying to find a direction to take. But in a way, it's great that you have 'too many' ideas rather than none at all. I'm really pleased that you're looking to the future anyway. It's been a long time coming. :hug:

A

ashesunbroken

What about a Psychiatric Nurse?
Psychiatric Nurses treat patients diagnosed with conditions like schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression. They’re also trained in behavioral therapy, which allows these nurses to teach patients, and their loved ones, how to deal with challenges that go along with psychiatric disorders

Does that sound like something that may interest you?