• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help-is this PTSD?

L

Luna2188

Hi, im new here and wondering what it is thats causing me issues at the moment.

I had a really tough year last year. My brother unexpectedly passed away - we spent a week at his bedside whilst he was in an induced coma- but we never got to properly say goodbye. On top of that, i had my first child (amazing but also lifechanging and some very low moments) and my parents announced their separation after many years together. I feel like the whole fabric of my life has changed.

6 months later and im finding it hard to concentrate, im irritable and feel quite depressed most of the time. But the thing that worries me most is ive become really preoccupied and sensitive to news stories about child abuse. Whilst i could just put stories like that to one side before, it now completely traumatises me and i spent hours awake in bed trying not to think about it and failing. I watched a Stacey Dooley programme a few nights ago where something like this was mentioned and i cried for hours afterwards. It makes my entire body tense, makes me feel sick and sometimes like i cant move.

Its now at the point where sometimes i look at my own child and horrible situations come to mind. I obviously dont want to think about it but i cant stop them and its really distressing.

Whats wrong with me? Is it the trauma of last year? I dont have flashbacks about that and whilst i find it desperately sad i can stand to think about it rationally. Is it possible i have ptsd?

JessisMe

JessisMe

It’s certainly possible but sounds more like OCD to me. If it is causing you distress to the point where it is affecting your functioning you should definitely consider contacting some support in your area. Reaching out to a trusted psychiatrist or therapist might help.

SweetTexas

SweetTexas

I'm a mother of 3 and the first thing that came to my mind was post partum depression. The trauma of the past year could possibly be compounding the problem. It can be very serious and it would be good for you to find a counselor to help you through! 💕

Zackthemaniac

Zackthemaniac

Whatever it is, it sounds like you could do with some help. Please reach out to a professional.