• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Help , I have PD

D

doe718

After many years of mental health problems, depression , anxiety, agraphobia and a hosital stay of almost 6 months I broke down yesterday and asked phyciatrist " what is wrong with me, whay am I like this ? "

I was a bit taken aback when he said " you have a pesonality disorder! ok after 3.5 years fo seeing him I now have name for it , he said it like I should know, I do not remember being told this before and he did not say what type of personality disorder. I am so confused.

I am not doubting him , reading on it last night I do believe he is right and I remmeber a few years ago thinking I had a personality disorder but never mentioned it to doctors.

Can you be diagnosed with a PD whithout being told which one ? Can you have a combination ?

Thanks

S

schizzzoid

You ought to go back and ask him to specify which PD.

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of PD's, but, as I understand it, it is not common, it is also possible to have a non-specific PD, where someone shows symptoms of various PD's, but, it is impossible to nail down which one, or ones.

For quite a while I thought I had a Borderline PD, as I have a lot of the symptoms, and I asked my psychiatrist if that was the case, and he immediately said that I had a Schizoid PD. When I questioned him about my BPD-like symptoms, he agreed that I had some of the symptoms, but, not the most important ones, such as psychotic episodes and acting out. It is a very complicated business.

The one thing that is common for all PD's is the treatment (not including meds!) which is therapy, therapy and more therapy.

Hope this helps...:)

D

doe718

thanks for reply

I will not see him again for 3 months so will have everything I wnat to ask written down by then. I will see cpn before that and speak to him about it.

BPD fits, if you read the symtoms it is like reading about me, I spoke to hubby about it last night and showed him the symtoms and he sais almost all fit.

I know a lot of people do not want a "label " but is is like after so many years of being told it is depression and anxiety it makes sense. I acually wrote to phyciatrist about 2 months ago ( see him every 3 months) and listed things that and things that ahd happened in my life that although I never mentioned before I thought now may be important, this was brought up as I thought maybe I had manic depession but in reality now thinking about it I know I don't

I have had CBT a few years ago and now phyc has recommended a group to improve my self asteem , I agreed as I just want to improve my life, I cannot hold down a job, I cannot keep friends, I am slowly and surely going to lose my husband because of the moods I take, sometimes for only hours, over nothing, maybe someone has not put a cup in dishwasher and I lash out verbally. I just need help.

I have had about 25 jobs in 30 years and considering I have not worked for 4 years I guess that average is high, I think the longest I held a job was 2 years, the least was about 2 hours.

I am on my third marriage, numerours disasterous relationships in between , I just wnat a normal life. The only friends I have are a neighbour and one online. I push people away, always.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hmm, well sometimes conditions fit other conditions if that makes sense?

All I know is that CBT doesnt help personality disorders nor does it help schziophrenia.

I dont know, my working history isnt that good, and im 34 years old. When I was working I had to change jobs within 2 years. Saying that you could have borderline and have one job. Relationships might account for Borderline personality, but saying that I personally cant have a relationship. I dont know how to.

schizzzoid is right though, and like all mental illness theres always non specific origin.

Sounds very confusing.:confused:

S

schizzzoid

Oooops! I should have put psychotherapy, not just therapy!:)

Wendy

Wendy

H

Hi doe 718,
Welcome aboard this a good place to talk and meet people.
I read what you wrote, snap! You sound very similar to me.
I do have BPD but with psychosis unfortunately is what the doc says.I,belive that you do have BPD not because I m a doctor,but because I was abused by my mother and stepfather.
I was in a kids home, apparently BPD can be due to childhood trauma
I have had a chaotic life with anger problems losing,jobs losing partners in fact my current partner also read it and said that's you! Please don't lose heart take care wendy x

A

Ainsworth

:welcome:

i have a PD, BPD fits but im still undiagnosed because of my anger towards most doctors and therapists and my unwillingness to talk, im a bad patient and no one ever gets the punchline from me. i thought i just had AD for along time but i can fit most disorders, i do and i dont care what i am, all depends on how im feeling but one thing i want is the feeling of having some type of control within me.

im on meds for BP, they kinda help

im in therapy now and i hate it :(

ive had so many jobs in my life i'l lost count but i am lucky that my OH has always stood by me. ive kicked him out lots of times, pushed him away, thrown abuse at him from the mood swings and generally been a pain in the arse for him. :redface:

im very lucky and no, none of you are having mr remarkable, hes mine :p

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
You ought to go back and ask him to specify which PD.

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of PD's, but, as I understand it, it is not common, it is also possible to have a non-specific PD, where someone shows symptoms of various PD's, but, it is impossible to nail down which one, or ones.

For quite a while I thought I had a Borderline PD, as I have a lot of the symptoms, and I asked my psychiatrist if that was the case, and he immediately said that I had a Schizoid PD. When I questioned him about my BPD-like symptoms, he agreed that I had some of the symptoms, but, not the most important ones, such as psychotic episodes and acting out. It is a very complicated business.

The one thing that is common for all PD's is the treatment (not including meds!) which is therapy, therapy and more therapy.

Hope this helps...:)
If you can get the therapy!
m

dib4uk

dib4uk

m
True, that.

But, as I'm in a very postivie frame of mood at the moment anything can be possible. It really can be.

:D

Yes when I was diagnosed as having borderline I could've sworn blind that I had all of the mental health problems into one, and I guess borderline you do.

Personally I find mental health and conditions fascinating, and if and when I'm more stable I most certainly would love to work in that field. I dont envy the psychiatrist one bit- but I like their money :p:scared::D

S

schizzzoid

m
Indeed! I tend to forget it's a bit of a postcode lottery, and, of course, you have to be able to jump through the correct hoops, whilst ticking the right boxes, without spilling the liquid from the over-filled cup that is your head!

:)

D

doe718

thanks everyone for the replies and the welcome.

I am trying to remember I am no different to what I was last week except I now have a name for why I am the way I am.:rolleyes: