• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help , I have PD

D

doe718

After many years of mental health problems, depression , anxiety, agraphobia and a hosital stay of almost 6 months I broke down yesterday and asked phyciatrist " what is wrong with me, whay am I like this ? "

I was a bit taken aback when he said " you have a pesonality disorder! ok after 3.5 years fo seeing him I now have name for it , he said it like I should know, I do not remember being told this before and he did not say what type of personality disorder. I am so confused.

I am not doubting him , reading on it last night I do believe he is right and I remmeber a few years ago thinking I had a personality disorder but never mentioned it to doctors.

Can you be diagnosed with a PD whithout being told which one ? Can you have a combination ?

Thanks

S

schizzzoid

You ought to go back and ask him to specify which PD.

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of PD's, but, as I understand it, it is not common, it is also possible to have a non-specific PD, where someone shows symptoms of various PD's, but, it is impossible to nail down which one, or ones.

For quite a while I thought I had a Borderline PD, as I have a lot of the symptoms, and I asked my psychiatrist if that was the case, and he immediately said that I had a Schizoid PD. When I questioned him about my BPD-like symptoms, he agreed that I had some of the symptoms, but, not the most important ones, such as psychotic episodes and acting out. It is a very complicated business.

The one thing that is common for all PD's is the treatment (not including meds!) which is therapy, therapy and more therapy.

Hope this helps...:)

D

doe718

thanks for reply

I will not see him again for 3 months so will have everything I wnat to ask written down by then. I will see cpn before that and speak to him about it.

BPD fits, if you read the symtoms it is like reading about me, I spoke to hubby about it last night and showed him the symtoms and he sais almost all fit.

I know a lot of people do not want a "label " but is is like after so many years of being told it is depression and anxiety it makes sense. I acually wrote to phyciatrist about 2 months ago ( see him every 3 months) and listed things that and things that ahd happened in my life that although I never mentioned before I thought now may be important, this was brought up as I thought maybe I had manic depession but in reality now thinking about it I know I don't

I have had CBT a few years ago and now phyc has recommended a group to improve my self asteem , I agreed as I just want to improve my life, I cannot hold down a job, I cannot keep friends, I am slowly and surely going to lose my husband because of the moods I take, sometimes for only hours, over nothing, maybe someone has not put a cup in dishwasher and I lash out verbally. I just need help.

I have had about 25 jobs in 30 years and considering I have not worked for 4 years I guess that average is high, I think the longest I held a job was 2 years, the least was about 2 hours.

I am on my third marriage, numerours disasterous relationships in between , I just wnat a normal life. The only friends I have are a neighbour and one online. I push people away, always.

dib4uk

dib4uk

Hmm, well sometimes conditions fit other conditions if that makes sense?

All I know is that CBT doesnt help personality disorders nor does it help schziophrenia.

I dont know, my working history isnt that good, and im 34 years old. When I was working I had to change jobs within 2 years. Saying that you could have borderline and have one job. Relationships might account for Borderline personality, but saying that I personally cant have a relationship. I dont know how to.

schizzzoid is right though, and like all mental illness theres always non specific origin.

Sounds very confusing.:confused:

S

schizzzoid

Oooops! I should have put psychotherapy, not just therapy!:)

Wendy

Wendy

H

Hi doe 718,
Welcome aboard this a good place to talk and meet people.
I read what you wrote, snap! You sound very similar to me.
I do have BPD but with psychosis unfortunately is what the doc says.I,belive that you do have BPD not because I m a doctor,but because I was abused by my mother and stepfather.
I was in a kids home, apparently BPD can be due to childhood trauma
I have had a chaotic life with anger problems losing,jobs losing partners in fact my current partner also read it and said that's you! Please don't lose heart take care wendy x

A

Ainsworth

:welcome:

i have a PD, BPD fits but im still undiagnosed because of my anger towards most doctors and therapists and my unwillingness to talk, im a bad patient and no one ever gets the punchline from me. i thought i just had AD for along time but i can fit most disorders, i do and i dont care what i am, all depends on how im feeling but one thing i want is the feeling of having some type of control within me.

im on meds for BP, they kinda help

im in therapy now and i hate it :(

ive had so many jobs in my life i'l lost count but i am lucky that my OH has always stood by me. ive kicked him out lots of times, pushed him away, thrown abuse at him from the mood swings and generally been a pain in the arse for him. :redface:

im very lucky and no, none of you are having mr remarkable, hes mine :p

M

Marchhare

Founding Member
You ought to go back and ask him to specify which PD.

Yes, it is possible to have a combination of PD's, but, as I understand it, it is not common, it is also possible to have a non-specific PD, where someone shows symptoms of various PD's, but, it is impossible to nail down which one, or ones.

For quite a while I thought I had a Borderline PD, as I have a lot of the symptoms, and I asked my psychiatrist if that was the case, and he immediately said that I had a Schizoid PD. When I questioned him about my BPD-like symptoms, he agreed that I had some of the symptoms, but, not the most important ones, such as psychotic episodes and acting out. It is a very complicated business.

The one thing that is common for all PD's is the treatment (not including meds!) which is therapy, therapy and more therapy.

Hope this helps...:)
If you can get the therapy!
m

dib4uk

dib4uk

m
True, that.

But, as I'm in a very postivie frame of mood at the moment anything can be possible. It really can be.

:D

Yes when I was diagnosed as having borderline I could've sworn blind that I had all of the mental health problems into one, and I guess borderline you do.

Personally I find mental health and conditions fascinating, and if and when I'm more stable I most certainly would love to work in that field. I dont envy the psychiatrist one bit- but I like their money :p:scared::D

S

schizzzoid

m
Indeed! I tend to forget it's a bit of a postcode lottery, and, of course, you have to be able to jump through the correct hoops, whilst ticking the right boxes, without spilling the liquid from the over-filled cup that is your head!

:)

D

doe718

thanks everyone for the replies and the welcome.

I am trying to remember I am no different to what I was last week except I now have a name for why I am the way I am.:rolleyes: