• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

HELP. How can I overcome emotional numbness and anhedonia?

G

gal123

Hi, i need help. It has been a year since i became emotionally numb and anhedonic after an emotional crisis. Basically i went into a rollercoaster of emotions for a week until it all culminated in a nervious breakdown/crisis i think and anxiety. I was able to calm down but next day i woke up NUMB. Literally incapable to feel any emotion or feeling, positive or negative and also i cant feel pleasure from anything and it really affected my life.

I cant feel love toward my family which is horrible, i cant feel/vibe with music (music was everything to me), i cant feel connection to anything or anyone, cant feel comfort, cant enjoy food, not even a dep breath.

Of course i went right away with a psyquiatrist and diagnosed me "depression" which i surely know its not. I wasnt depressed before! i dont even feel sadness, my brain just shut down from feeling completely. I also have horrible insomnia and physically numb to an extent. Sometimes i cant feel heat that much and i barely feel hunger and thrist. I dont feel human.

Im looking for recovery stories from people who overcame emotional numbness/hope because i dont want to live like this. Its impossible. Please i need help.

I have to add that i did not suffer from a psychotic episode or desperzonalization , , which i have seen people who went through that, also experienced emotional numbness but i dont have that

I

Intareseid

I am not a medical professional, but are you truly certain its not indeed a form of depression? as it can manifest in several different ways not just in overt sadness.

Looking at the DSM-5 it lists this variation on depressive disorders:

With melancholic features:
A. One of the following is present during the most severe period of the current epi
sode:
1. Loss of pleasure in all, or almost all, activities.
2. Lack of reactivity to usually pleasurable stimuli (does not feel much better, even
temporarily, when something good happens).
B. Three (or more) of the following;
1. A distinct quality of depressed mood characterized by profound despondency,
despair, and/or moroseness or by so-called empty mood.
2. Depression that is regularly worse in the morning.
3. Early-morning awakening (i.e., at least 2 hours before usual awakening).
4. Marked psychomotor agitation or retardation.
5. Significant anorexia or weight loss.
6. Excessive or inappropriate guilt.

That seems to at least vaguely match some of the symptoms you're describing. Have you taken any medication or engaged in any form of therapy? of course, as another Latin American I'm aware of how difficult it may be to find adequate care. But if this episode has lasted this long, I don't see it getting better on its own.

Heylady

Heylady

Well, I can relate but I did have a psychotic episode. But I relate a lot to what you’re describing. I am slowly overcoming it but it has taken over a year. Music isn’t the same but I still listen to it. I busy myself but it’s really just to keep my mind off of my illness. I get joy out of redecorating. Maybe that’s something you could think about doing? I’m putting together an office/art studio and picking out the paint, the furniture, etc. just to make it look cool. I hope you can find yourself again!

W

Wantingtolearn67

I am not a medical professional, but are you truly certain its not indeed a form of depression? as it can manifest in several different ways not just in overt sadness.

Looking at the DSM-5 it lists this variation on depressive disorders:

With melancholic features:
A. One of the following is present during the most severe period of the current epi
sode:
1. Loss of pleasure in all, or almost all, activities.
2. Lack of reactivity to usually pleasurable stimuli (does not feel much better, even
temporarily, when something good happens).
B. Three (or more) of the following;
1. A distinct quality of depressed mood characterized by profound despondency,
despair, and/or moroseness or by so-called empty mood.
2. Depression that is regularly worse in the morning.
3. Early-morning awakening (i.e., at least 2 hours before usual awakening).
4. Marked psychomotor agitation or retardation.
5. Significant anorexia or weight loss.
6. Excessive or inappropriate guilt.

That seems to at least vaguely match some of the symptoms you're describing. Have you taken any medication or engaged in any form of therapy? of course, as another Latin American I'm aware of how difficult it may be to find adequate care. But if this episode has lasted this long, I don't see it getting better on its own.
this is actually so scary... I feel I have all of the above symptoms and I’m on meds already :( especially the early morning awakening and then just tossing and turning. Going crazy in my mind... need to do something