• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help for my son

V

Von

Hi,

I'm the mum of a nearly 16 year old boy with a history of self-harm and psychosis. He's been off olanzapine for 18 months now, but recently he's confided in me that he is starting to get paranoid again.

We are due to see his psychiatrist on Friday and I don't know whether there in any alternative mild anti-psychotic he can be medicated with. He's due to take his GCSEs this year and although he is predicted fabulous grades I'm concerned that the soporific effects of olanzapine will mess up his chances.

He's looking forward to going to college in September to do A'levels in Physics, Maths, Computing and Music Tech and he's worried that if he doesn't get the As and A*s predicted, he won't get in.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than medication? Is the stress of the exams likely to be causing this renewed paranoia? He's actually told me he thinks he needs medication again so I know it must be troubling him.

Many thanks

Von

M

mad as a hatter

the only thing i can sugguest is u disscus it with his doctor and c what they say about meds taking exams can be a stressful time for ne youngster never mind ur son who has mh problem