• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

help fighting early signs of ocd?

L

larryarms

hey, basically I've registered at the forum just today to talk about some problems I've been having lately which I find it impossible to talk about to the people around me.

The bottom line here is I think I've got the onset of ocd, and I'm not sure what to do. Almost everyday lately I've found the need to go to this shopping centre near where I live. It started off as just an excuse to get out the house, but now I'm getting stressed if I don't go there, until I do finally get off my backside and go lol. Most the time when I get there there's nothing I want and i end up just wasting money, but it's this need to get out or away from the house is what's annoying me I think.

Atm I'm just trying to forget about it and tell myself the best way to fight this urge is simply to not go, but it's hanging in my mind a little too much to forget easily right now.

I'd just like to ask whether this is OCD or something else, and if I'm going about fighting these urges the right way? I really hate it when things like this stress me out:confused:

M

mad as a hatter

maybe being in the house is what is stressing u out and going 2 the shopping centre is seen as a bit off an escape for u but i think maybe u should go c ur gp tho cause i,m no expert on ocd or ne thing

MarcAntony

MarcAntony

Sounds like a compulsion. Compulsions are a mechanism for dealing with obsessive behaviors. What is going on in your life that is making you feel stressed? The best thing you can do is shore up your natural defenses. Eat clean, workout regularly and find a place to put your nervous energy. I spend a lot of time writing when I feel my OCD flare up.

If you think you are beginning to have signs of biochemical issues I'd suggest speaking with a physician...

L

larryarms

hey thanks for the replies:)

I've been to see my GP today and he seems to think that this urge isn't OCD (he mentioned ocd would be more like having to go there and return several times) and is more likely an escape from my stresses I guess, and an excuse to get out of the house (pretty much like what you said, mad as a hatter). I guess this is good news lol! My doctor did however suggest an antidepressant (again) although I don't really want to have to take any more tablets than I already am so:\

I managed to stop myself from going there yesterday, although I went pretty much everywhere but out of frustration, and I've been there today with my family for a meal which wasn't so bad I guess. I think it's just this feeling like I'm going nuts when I try and explain it to people lol...really frustrates me.

I think it's my college work which is stressing me out, that and that I have to organize myself with pretty much no outside help from college, so I'm left sitting at home a lot of the time trying to do work. I guess if I had more structure it'd be easier to avoid this sort of thing?

I'm not sure what you mean marcantony about biochemical issues?