• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Help feel like my brain is just fried/frazzled...LONG

M

mummy12

Hi,
I was diagnosed with severe ocd back in may after the birth of my second child (nil diagnosed mental health history prior), following stressful renovations of our house etc during the 3rd trimester.
It started with a fear of my daughter daughter getting a coldsore (she had a small blister on her lip from biting/sucking from teething took her to doctor). Before seeing the doctor and working out it was a harmless blister on her lip, i had freaked out about her spreading the 'cold sore' to her eyes etc. when the doctor said it was nothing, I then freaked out that I might accidentally pass cold sores onto her if i had one (which i hadn't had for years)... cue tingling around my mouth and nose for weeks on end (i now know was anxiety related). i started washing my hands flat out, washing and rewashing my daughters zippy cups, scrubbing the house, door handles, everything after visitors were over. having rituals of how i would get dressed (shirt can't touch my face as i put it on, pants waistband can't get folded over when putting them on) or would have to wash them and start all over again. after my second daughter was born it just got worse.
i would get stuck in cycles in the bathroom, showering, re showering because a towel flicked the toilet, washing the door knobs then back in the shower etc i was in the bathroom for hours at a time luckily my husband was on parental leave.
i abruptly weaned my daughter as i was afraid she would get sick if say a crumb of food dropped from my mouth onto ,my clothes so kept washing and changing clothes,
then i ended up with mastitis.

my Dr then clicked on to how bad it was getting and things rolled on down hill a few days later after my mum gave me a bit of a talking to (didn't understand mental illness at all, thought i needed to go for a walk in the fresh air etc) and i just broke down. my head was just torturing me i was a slave to the intrusive thoughts. i was too afraid to touch anything and just sat there crying.

anyways.. i was then seen my a psychiatrist straight away, put on seroquel and diazepam as well as the zoloft id started 6 weeks earlier so i slept a lot the next few days and ended up spending 3 weeks in an inpatient unit to get back on top of it.

i came home much better and able to function fairly well.
I am still plodding along fairly well...

i just have this pent up frustration in my head that i can't work out what it is i can't think clearly enough to work it out, i don't know what to do with my life (i quit my job, that id studied for years at uni, after having my first daughter due to what i now know was ocd/anxiety thoughts and have no desire to go back into that field) I feel completely lost like i just wanna run around screaming and let it all out. i feel like i have waisted my life.

i have no connection with my husband anymore and feel like he just annoys me.

i always feel like I'm waiting for something, i need to have some project on the go, or buy something i just can't work myself out!

because of the serequel i have put on 13kgs my clothes barely fit and i look like crap, my normal dr is on leave and the one I'm seeing to replace her is not worried about the weight gain and won't let me stop the serequel yet (only 25mg which we just switched to night time), i feel depressed about my weight, my mum is on my back about it, pressuring me to stop the serequel so i lose weight, and on my back to diet and exercise and goes on and on about it.

i don't know what I'm looking for.. maybe some understanding?

J

JulietEC

You poor thing. Apparently it is really common for OCD to happen after having babies. It seems to be a serious trigger. Not much help to you I know but it must be exhausting. I just got depressed after mine. A Maternity Physio said it takes two years for the brain changes to reverse after a pregnancy. Please let me know when you have time as I'm interested to know how hospital helped you. xx

Rowan

Rowan

Sorry to read that, it sounds horrible.:hug:

M

mummy12

Thanks for your reply! yep just let me know what you wanna know?

You poor thing. Apparently it is really common for OCD to happen after having babies. It seems to be a serious trigger. Not much help to you I know but it must be exhausting. I just got depressed after mine. A Maternity Physio said it takes two years for the brain changes to reverse after a pregnancy. Please let me know when you have time as I'm interested to know how hospital helped you. xx

J

JulietEC

Did you take baby with you - was it a mother baby unit? My mum gets at me at lot too - just dosent get it. I also think they're jealous we have young children although would never admit it. Theres a good book about OCD by Dr Fiona Challacombe

M

mummy12

Yep and I was able to take the youngest who was a few weeks old at the time but had to leave my toddler at home with my husband. Hardest thing I have ever had to do, but look back now and it was totally worth it. It so hard when the don't get it and that there is constantly things going round and round in your head even though you might look completely fine!