• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Help before this turns into something bad

?

>.<

I'm worried I'm developing anorexia. Atm, I'm eating normally, and I've never considered myself 'fat' but I'm not skinny, I'm like, sort of chubby, kind of big built, but not overweight. Recently someone called me fat and it really upset me, and then I saw this warning clip about obesity and suddenly I don't want to eat, which is really unlike me.

A girl at my school had severe anorexia, and she was in hospital for almost 2 years because she relapsed, and hers started like this. I don't want to develop an ED, I have enough problems as it is :(

Idk if I'm just overreacting, but idk I just feel really bad and im scared :(

Astrid

Astrid

Well if you're eating normally, then you don't have anorexia. But yes you are definitely having body image issues that could lead to anorexia. Did you just start feeling this way after someone called you fat, or did it start before that? If you felt fine about yourself before someone made a stupid and mean remark, then you shouldn't feel bad afterward. Whoever said that is a jerk (to put it lightly) and not worth another thought.

?

>.<

I was fine before, its just when the person called me fat :(

Astrid

Astrid

Well like I said, the person who called you fat is an idiot. He/she probably is insecure about themselves and trying to boost their own self esteem by trying to make you feel bad about yourself.
I know it's easy to get upset when someone/something makes you feel "fat" (I'm a size 8 and I still freak out if anyone even makes a comment that I can (and will, in my mind) twist into them implying that I'm fat). I am a recovered anorexic and have struggled with body image for the past 12 years, so I understand, believe me!
I think the more important issue is to ask yourself, "Am I healthy?" If the answer is yes, then at least try to reassure yourself that while you may not look like a supermodel (statistically only like 2% of women do!), you are still attractive and healthy. :hug:
I have always been mortified by what I see in the mirror, scrutinizing every stretch mark and "dimple" and feeling fat and ugly. But my imperfections never stopped my boyfriend from stopping and checking me out every time I changed clothes! I read something one time that I think is pretty true: "Women aren't obsessed with being thin for men, we're obsessed with being thin for other women."

S

*Sapphire*

Hi, I agree with Astrid. If you are not overweight then IMO you have nothing to worry about weight wise. I find it helpful to rationalise any negative thoughts with facts so if i was thinking I was fat I could look at my weight, see that it was not in an overweight BMI range etc. It also helps me also to try to distinguish my feelings from fact, therefore if I am feeling fat, it doesn't mean to say I am fat.

I've learned in life that many people project their own insecurities onto others. The person who made that claim may have revealed more about themselves than about you.

I would try to get back to your normal eating pattern straight away and try to forget what that person said. Most people wouldn't dream on commenting on someones weight at all, never mind say they are fat. I'd personally give them a wide berth, it seems they might want a rise, don't give them one. ;)

?

>.<

Thankyou to both of you, that really helped :) I'm getting back to normal and trying to put the comments aside, the girl doesn't like me and was just saying whatever she can to get to me, so i wont let it bother me hopefully. Your tips are really helpful :)

:hug: