Help and advice sort.

A

Akardy

Hi all,

So I’m after some advice for my situation, essentially I think I’m hearing voices but it’s a hard thing to accept.

It started around a year ago, I kept hearing my neighbours having sex and it was keeping me up at night. I wasn’t the only one in the house hearing it so I know that much is true. Anyway it was stopping me sleeping so I wrote a note to then asking them to be a little quieter as I wasn’t in the best of health and needed my sleep, I have fibromyalgia.

So that seemed to work, but then I started to hear them talking about me...often really nasty stuff, threats of violence, saying I’m faking my illness etc. Two voices, one male one female, the male voice always the nasty one, the female voice generally telling the male one to shut up.

Anyhow, long story short this started to really mess with my head as it became fairly constant. Eventually I was hearing it with friends or family over...and they’ve insisted there’s nothing there. On top of that I’ve tried recording it on my phone and amplifying the sound...nothing there. And on top of that for it to be anything other than me hearing voices two people would have had to more or less dedicate their lives for the better part of a year to talking about me 24/7.

But on the other hand I don’t hear them anyplace else, Not in other houses I’ve stayed the night and not anywhere outside. And I find it hard to understand why my brain would trick like this....so though rationally I know it must be unreal it’s a constant battle to keep telling myself that.

Has anyone on here been in a similar situation? Or have any advice?

As I mentioned I have fibromyalgia which is a pretty stressful thing, and I’ve had some bad anxiety trouble in the past, but no real mental illness. Pretty sure I’m not bi polar or anything else, and don’t hear stuff anywhere but that house... sadly that house being the only place I have to live!

So yeah, sorry for the length of this post but if anyone has any thoughts or advice I’d love to hear.

Cazcat

Cazcat

Hi, my husband used to get this. To start with I thought that He just had better hearing than me but when moving house (multiple times) didn't solve the problem I started to realise something was up. Eventually he was diagnosed with psychosis and finally I realised he had been hearing voices all along. It would be worth discussing with your GP as with medication my husband has found this has stopped completely. The great thing is you realise there may be an issue my husband was adamant I was deaf for years and has only recently accepted that what he was hearing wasn't real. Things tend to be worse with stress for him too.

It seems this is a common way for psychosis to manifest, I've read countless similar accounts. The good news is psychosis doesn't necessarily mean a serious mental illness some people only ever have one episode it's worth getting your Drs advice.

Last edited:
A

Akardy

Thanks for getting back to me!

I have been to the doctor, and had an assessment with the mental health team. From what they said I don't think it's psychosis, because of the difference you mentioned, that I'm happy to admit it could all be in my head....I've not been entirely convinced it's real, but nor have I always been convinced it's not real.

So perhaps it's more of an anxiety thing. But I'll keep an open mind either way. Glad to hear your husband got better anyway! Some pills to make it go away does sound rather nice.

A

Akardy

Does anyone else have any thoughts about weather it could be a form of psychosis? Does the fact that I've never been entirely convinced what I've been hearing is real mean it's something else?

boudreauj4

boudreauj4

Many more people than thought can hear voices, and many of them are not considered mentally ill because they still live functional, productive lives even with the voices. John Watkins wrote a book I believe is titled Hearing Voices: a Common Human Experience. I found this a very interesting book and it is all about the many different forms of voice hearing and even some of the history of hearing voices. I think this might be the book that explained 20 different ways to help cope with the voices, of which I think taking a medication for it was only one of them. Before reading this book my voices were very negative and malicious, but after this and another book, I felt more empowered with the voices and they gradually became nicer and friendlier. I also take an antipsychotic medication for the voices and other things. It seems to have made the voices less often and quieter. They are not overwhelming anymore and don't take up as much of my time and attention.

Last edited:
A

Akardy

Thanks, I'll have a look at that!

That is the worst thing about it, wasting time and mental energy on something that isn't real and can't hurt you.