• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Help/advice with urges

Optrex

Optrex

Hay all, I am new here so if I break any rules or upset someone I apologise.

So some background on me, about 5-6 months ago depression hit me hard... real hard dew to a lot of difference 'bad' things going on in my life... about a month after that I started to use Self Harm to 'help' me mostley for a release. It became something I thought about all the time, all most every day, and the only thing I could do to make me not feel so down... its been a tough struggle...

At the moment I feel ok and I am starting to work through my 'bad' things and I haven't Self Harmed for 30 days which I am really happy about!! But the last week or so can feel the urges starting to creep back in, I feel like I can not control them any moor, like any day I will fall back and Self Harm because of some little thing that has/will upset me... I feel like the last 30 days will have been for nothing if I Self Harm again... I feel so lost once again...

So yea... just wondering if anyone else has felt like this and what they have done to help them, sorry if the above is a bit of a mess :s

ThisIsOnlyABumpInTheRoad

ThisIsOnlyABumpInTheRoad

Hay all, I am new here so if I break any rules or upset someone I apologise.

So some background on me, about 5-6 months ago depression hit me hard... real hard dew to a lot of difference 'bad' things going on in my life... about a month after that I started to use Self Harm to 'help' me mostley for a release. It became something I thought about all the time, all most every day, and the only thing I could do to make me not feel so down... its been a tough struggle...

At the moment I feel ok and I am starting to work through my 'bad' things and I haven't Self Harmed for 30 days which I am really happy about!! But the last week or so can feel the urges starting to creep back in, I feel like I can not control them any moor, like any day I will fall back and Self Harm because of some little thing that has/will upset me... I feel like the last 30 days will have been for nothing if I Self Harm again... I feel so lost once again...

So yea... just wondering if anyone else has felt like this and what they have done to help them, sorry if the above is a bit of a mess :s
hey, congrats for 30 days! I am currently in a similar position, i went maybe 2-3 months no harm, but due to a situation between people close to me I was having urges everyday, I used red pen at first because that's a good way to deal with needing to see something on yourself and it lasts a few days. Red paint also works well for this.

if possible it would be best if you can resolve or figure out what it is that is causing you to have these urges, because mine came from people i care about fighting, I couldn't find a way to fix the problem and i have since broken my clean streak.

But it doesn't have to go that way for you, there are several things you can do as an alternative to harming which will give the similar feelings without being harmful. There's a really good list at the top of self harm forum. If you can, talk to the people around you as well as they may be able to suggest a destraction or alternative until you can resolve the thing that is causing these emotions and urges to resurface.

Goodluck friend, i hope this helped even a little. I believe in you

Optrex

Optrex

Thanks for your responce and kind words, yea i do the red pen thing!! Draw or wright things that meen somthing to me or just patterns, havent had a proper look at the post as you said but I will.

... IDK i just feel urges and think about it evrey day again and i dont really know why... its so frustrsting, I thorght I was past this...