• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Help? Advice? Am I being silly?

R

RestlessAffect

This is a bit long-winded and unnecessarily panicked (sorry in advance for that), but I'm kinda stressing out (far too much probably) over this and could really use any advice that people may have.

So, I've been seeing a Psychologist for a few weeks now, and it's been going well, but this last time, I was suicidal. Or should I say, I was on the edge of being suicidal. I told her that I felt like I couldn't keep myself safe for very much longer, and she arranged for me to be taken to hospital. She asked if I wanted to keep seeing her for therapy once I was 'okay' again, and I told her that I did, but no further appointment was made.

Since then, I've been trying to contact my Psychologist to arrange another appointment, but she's not answering her phone when I call her, and she hasn't replied to my email. Part of me is thinking that *because* of what happened, that my sessions with her are over (I realise that I might be being a bit silly there, but it's something that won't stop plaguing my thoughts.)

Should I be fretting about not being able to reach my Psychologist, or that she hasn't contacted me? Is it normal that she always lets her phone ring to voicemail? (voicemail makes me panic even more than just a normal phone conversation does, which means it's next to impossible for me to leave any sort of coherent message so I just hang up before it even gets to voicemail.)

Am I making a big deal out of nothing? I have such poor experience with this kind of thing (and most other things too) that I honestly don't know what to think. I'm trying not to get too lost in anxiety and paranoid thinking, but I think I'm losing it. Sorry if I'm being a bit stupid and wasting anyone's time with this, I just have no idea what to do. :confused:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
Maybe your psychologist is away or on holiday.Its unlikely that she was put of by your crisis.
Hope you are doing ok now you are out of hospital.
KP

R

RestlessAffect

Well, it's reassuring to know that I'm very probably wrong about the situation. I really hope you're right. Thanks.

dib4uk

dib4uk

There is no way that she or he would leave you like that without being told first, maybe the person is out of town or something like that, because normally theres a wind down session where its made perfectly clear that your at the end of the therapy/sessions.

Try not to worry too much, but i know how frustrating it can be.

R

RestlessAffect

Um ... I was right first time.

I got an email from her today stating that - after having discussed it with her case manager - I'd not be offered any more sessions with her. No wind-down session. Nothing. Apparently, I need more intensive CBT than she can give and now I have to wait for therapy with someone else. I don't know if I have the energy or the inclination to wait again.

I'm in shock. It was going really well until last time. I wasn't at "rock bottom" because of therapy, it was just that everything in my personal/family life was getting on top of me. I was feeling completely hopeless, so I asked for help, and now I'm thrown back to square one because of it? I don't understand at all. I wish I hadn't said anything about how I was feeling, and I doubt I'll be nearly as ready to do so in the future. Not when all that seems to happen is people say "your problems are too much for me" and then leave.

I don't know if I should be angry, or sad, or whatever else. I'm just ... I can't believe this.

L

Lady Summer Isles

Um ... I was right first time.

I got an email from her today stating that - after having discussed it with her case manager - I'd not be offered any more sessions with her. No wind-down session. Nothing. Apparently, I need more intensive CBT than she can give and now I have to wait for therapy with someone else. I don't know if I have the energy or the inclination to wait again.

I'm in shock. It was going really well until last time. I wasn't at "rock bottom" because of therapy, it was just that everything in my personal/family life was getting on top of me. I was feeling completely hopeless, so I asked for help, and now I'm thrown back to square one because of it? I don't understand at all. I wish I hadn't said anything about how I was feeling, and I doubt I'll be nearly as ready to do so in the future. Not when all that seems to happen is people say "your problems are too much for me" and then leave.
So sorry this has happened to you. I understand about the feeling in shock and wishing you hadn't said anything. I have had a similar situation happen to me in the last few weeks when my support worker was stopped abruptly after me seeing her for about 16 months. It doesn't always pay to be entirely honest, if you do they take away your support. How is that supposed to help anyone.
Take care
Lady T

Last edited by a moderator:
M

maudikie

udikie.

If you have been in hospital you should have a case manager, so get in contact with him/her and explain the situation and that you are feeling in great need of support and that this si an UNMEET NEED. If you have a young family to care for this should give you some priority as y our condition must have an effect on them.

R

RestlessAffect

I was assigned an advocate when I was in hospital. I'm going to be meeting her sometime in the next week or so; she's calling me on friday to arrange an appointment, so we can discuss what I need help with. I'll definitely tell her about my current situation, and my now lack of professional help.

Come to think of it, I did ask my doctor for counselling a while ago actually. I've heard nothing about it since. His secretary did say that he tends to forget about stuff like this, though. Hmm ... y'know, I think I just convinced myself to finally change doctor.

Anyway, enough of my somewhat direction-less rambling. Thank you everyone for your advice/support. I really do appreciate it.

D

Deremna

This happened to me with my previous psychiatrist. She stopped answering my calls and I left messages for refilling my Effexor and she never called me back. So I ended up going into withdrawals and it took me until now, which is about a year and a half later, to begin seeing another psychiatrist as I am now not trusting of them.

It's a bs situation.. I was also afraid to tell my new psychiatrist that I have suicidal thoughts because I didn't want to get tossed aside. I feel for you and hope everything turns out okay.. :hug:

KP1

KP1

Founding Member
I've only just read this Restless. I'm really sorry to hear what you've gone through,I suppose I've been lucky having a therapist who has gone through some very difficult times with me when I have been very suicidal. I hope they listen to you and find you someone who is qualified and willing to support you.
Take care.
KP:hug: