• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello

W

worried

Hello,

I started a new job about 5 months ago. At the beginning I enjoyed it but recently, since been given more responsbility a colleague has noticed I have seemed stressed. I had a bad experience in my last job, but I was only out of a job for 6 weeks and then I was offered 2 more! I was so happy then. I felt so proud considering so many people where unemployed at the time - it was permanent and close to home. It's a job I really want to do and worked hard for. I want to enjoy it.

However, now I feel physically and mentally exhausted by my worrying - I build things up in my head - things that I have done or think I've done wrong and will get into trouble for, they get so much that I have to let it all out, mainly to my mum and I feel slightly better then. Unfortunately I feel guilty about telling her because she says that she worries about me not being happy! I have tried writing my worries down, however I still feel I want to tell my mum, my dad would just worry too much about me.

I am constantly on the verge of tears, and skip meals, mainly lunch at work. I then sometimes comfort eat at home. I feel I have to check things over and over and check things with my supervisor. I am scared of making a mistake. :(I have had periods of depression / anxiety in the past - I came off 20mg of citalopram after being on it for over a year - I went cold turkey a couple of months after starting my new job as I was enjoying it. I've also been on prozac in the past for depression.

I also have other issues such as my weight; feeling inferior to my younger sister; lack of self confidence (my dad says if confidence could be given in pill form that would be great) and lack of assertiveness (always the person to organise things for friends etc). My parents are supportive but I feel guilty about worrying them that I'm not happy. I'm annoyed with myself for feeling like this. I have tried counselling, psychology and hypnosis in the past - all with some short term benefits. Sorry to be so self-centred but I am fed up with worrying about worrying! :(

S

Soren

:welcome:
hi worried. sounds like you're doing everything right - you've tried counselling, psychology, medication...

these problems are so much worse because they tend to be persistent - i know mine are. and a stressful occupation isn't helpful.

i don't know what i could possibly advise, apart from maybe take a less demanding job (or a similar job, but part-time) while you continue to try and sort out your problems.

try to keep fighting though friend.

Last edited:
S

*Sapphire*

Hi worried

And :welcome: to the forum.
I hope you find this site as friendly and supportive as I have. :)

trombone_babe

trombone_babe

Hi, I'm a worrier too, maybe you could tell the doctor how you feel. Like Soren says you seem to be doing everything right, just give the doc an update and see what happens.

Take care :)

W

worried

Hi,

Thank you for your replies I really do appreciate it. I still feel very wobbly at the moment, but I have a dr's appointment next week, so I'll see what they say then. I also have my appraisal next week at work so I'll wait and see. Thanks once again. :)