• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello

M

Maddycat

Hi everyone,

My name is Maddy and I'm 27 years old. I've been married for just over a year and after a long time of being what we considered odd with serious mood swings, have been diagnosed with cyclothalmia (sp?)

The doctor has prescribed me Zyprexa and Lamotrigine. I was wondering if anyone is on these drugs and what experiences they have had with them? Also, how do you cope with the diagnosis? Although in one way it's a relief as I hope the drugs will eventually even me out and make life a bit easier for those around me and myself, I can't help disliking the label of "mentally ill" and I don't like the idea of being on these meds for the rest of my life. Whilst the downs are unbearable I quite like the ups, I feel so fantastic when I'mlike that and, although this may sound odd, I don't like the idea of losing them.

Plus anything that people can point me to that would be good for my husband to read would be greatly appreciated.

I hope to get to know you all and I'm sure that you'll all be an invaluable resource....

Yours,

Maddy x

Last edited by a moderator:
sallyG

sallyG

Hello Maddy and welcome to the forum..im a newbie too. I think you will find everyone is very helpful and friendly here:)

Lynnie B

Lynnie B

Hiya Maddy,

I am 26 years old and have just joined this forum too... I have also just been diagnosed with Bipolar2. They did think it was Cyclothymia at first but now been diagnosed with Bipolar 2.

I dont know about them meds you said... and dont worry about the idea of being on them for the rest of your life. I used to think that but as long as they make you better thats all that matters. One doctor said to me its only like a diabetic takin their insulin... Its an illness so it has to be treated.

Oh and i love the "ups" too!!! Shame i get more downers that uppers! Haha (y)

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi Maddy and :welcome: to the Forum.

I think Zyprexa is better known as Olanzapine (Zyprexa is just a trade name) which I have seen discussed here.

Lamotrigine is a mood stabiliser - an alternative to Lithium or Valproate - quite a new drug as far as I know - from what I read it sounds quite interesting (I say that as someone who took Lithium for years and has now been on Valproate for years :)).

Nick.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoodFlicker Introduce Yourself 0
H Introduce Yourself 13
H Introduce Yourself 7
H Introduce Yourself 5
L Introduce Yourself 16