• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello

O

ottergirl

Just to say hello to everyone.

I found this board whilst scrolling through mental help sites, trying to find information which will be of help to my other half. He suffers from mood swings and for the last couple of years having watched the pattern of these, I think that he suffers from Bi Polar disorder.

I am hoping that this site will broaden my understanding, from both perspectives in the hope that I can persuade him to seek help and advice.

So hello from me,

Ottergirl

Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel

Hi Ottergirl,

this is the site that can help, feel free to post what ever you need to! i'm not a bipolar sufferer but i maybe be able to help you to understand mental health better, well atleast i think i can!!??

be safe,

Angel:welcome:

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Ottergirl

And :welcome: to the forum!

I do not suffer with Bipolar, but do have other mental health issues.

If I can offer some advice at this stage, it is to try not to presume a diagnosis. Just make a mental note of his behaviours so that if he does want to seek help you can offer your perspective of how he is behaving. Sometimes people are not aware of their actions/patterns/behaviours until someone points it out to them, and that counts for those that don't suffer with mental health issues too!

His behaviours could be due to a physical problem, an emotional one or a mental illness, so as I said please do not start suggesting to him that you think he has bipolar because it might cause him some undue worry. Sometimes when we think someone has a particular problem we start presuming aspects of behaviour are part of that problem which might not necessarily be the case, or we start looking for evidence to prove that it is. Only a GP or Psychiatrist can truly diagnose and it is often not the first diagnosis a GP or a psychiatrist will give.

I hope that helps. :)

Last edited:
O

ottergirl

Hi Sapphire,

Thanks for that, this pretty much confirms what I thought would be the wrong course of action. He has occassional admitted to not understanding his irrational behaviour, my main aim is to try and get him to medical help. My thoughts of Bi polar are my suspicion only (whoops methinks typo there) but whatever the problem is, my first step is to try and gently nudge him towards addressing it. At the moment he is in his 'black cloud' so commincation is limited, whilst I want to reach out and support, I have found at these times it is best to be there if he wants, but not to try and follow him into his 'cave'....if that makes sense.

Ottergirl

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Ottergirl, and welcome.

It's a very hard thing to 'get' someone to admit they have a problem, if they don't see it themselves. I'm hoping you are taking good care of yourself as well (?).
Diagnosing is for the professionals. I hope you and your other half are successful in sorting out what the problems are, and getting proper help and guidance. :flowers:

S

*Sapphire*

Yes that's a good idea Ottergirl, it is good that you don't get caught up in his low mood and can distance yourself from it.

I think you are doing the right thing making gentle suggestions. Perhaps by waiting until he seems a bit more positive he will respond better.

If he asks for help, and you don't feel it is within your limits to, then do tell him so, and re-suggest to him seeing the GP. You may have to do that a few times, but he may get the message.

In the meantime if you are struggling yourself as a result please do post here, sometimes just venting your feelings in a supportive forum can help.

Take care
Sapphire

O

ottergirl

Hi again Sapphire,

I have to say when I first experienced his 'downs' it was devastating for me, I simply couldn't understand the emotional shutdown. Now I have a better understanding, that he is not doing it knowingly, I manage to step back and not take it personally...... it still is not easy to lose him at this time, but at least I know it will pass, but it still causes me infanite sadness to see him struggle.

My current coping mechanism is my new foal, watching it puts a smile on my face:)

Ottergirl

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Welcome to the Forum Ottergirl :welcome:

Aw...a foal! How lovely just to think of it! :)

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hi Ottergirl and :welcome:

I hope that you are finding your way around the forums ok.

If you need anything, you only have to ask: this is a very friendly and supportive forum.

Take care

Companion

O

ottergirl

Hi Companion,

Many thanks, working my way round slowly!!

So nice to find friendly, understanding and informed people,

Ottergirl (y)

O

ottergirl

Grizzlybear,

Gangly legs.... Bambi on ice............ very entertaining, now a week old, and checking out all things we can do, bucking, running round mum, and chasing lambs. Very beautiful and a BIG handful !!

Ottergirl