• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

hello

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Thought id start a thread for us to say hello. Im female and in my fifties. Ive had problems on and off all my life but fortunatly only a couple of hospitalisations. I sufer with bi-polar along with anxiety and occassionaly psychosis. Yep i dont do things by half:rolleyes:

I had to stop working 4 years ago as I worked in a very stressful job and was finding it harder to cope. Plus my collegues were totally confused by my behaviour, but theve been good and kept my job open.

What i find hard hardest though is having someone to talk to that doesnt know me. I feel that if i told my psychiatrist my real thoughts he would have me hospitalised again. Hopefully as time goes by on this site I can start to open up and find out how others really feel and im not on my own.

well ive waffled on for long enough hope to speak to some of you soon:D

connect

connect

Admin
Hi Daffy and :welcome:,

thanks for making that first post (y)! I'm one of the administrators on this forum and responsible for the smilies - so if you have any special requests, just ask :D! I've been facilitating a mental health related forum for the past 3 years. Since I'm used to this forum software, I've been very kindly invited to join the team. Just hope and pray that I know what I'm doing :scared: (only joking - it's not that hard really *system crashes* :D).

I'd wager a bet that you're not alone with your thoughts and feelings, and hope this forum will allow people to voice their real thoughts and provide mutual support and encouragement. And maybe above all, to see that they are not alone with their experiences.

Many thanks for joining and please feel free to post away :)!

wife

wife

Founding Member
hello!!

I am in my "mid" twenties and have been mentally ill all my life (although I only realised about 10 years ago). I have never really held down a job for any length of time (I managed one year, once) and have dropped out of two university courses (which were hard to get into as I got really ill during my exams at school age)

I have been hospitalised (although not for long) more times than I can count but the time between each stay is being longer and longer

I have been attending a therapeutic community for the last 10(ish) months and seem to be doing well at the moment, but I feel it is one of these things where only time will tell

Looking forward to meeting more like minded people around here (although I think my husband feels I already spend too much time online!!)

Jay

addy

addy

Founding Member
Hiya

Hiya everyone :)

My names Addy, am bordering on the big 3-0 and have suffered from an array of mental health problems since my mid teens. Severe depression, self harm, social anxiety, anxiety in general and recently diagnosed bipolar. I've also attempted suicide on a few occasions.

I've never been hospitalised for any real length of time but have been in and out of hospital on several occasions. I'm not able to work at the moment.

I always used to hide my problems in fear of the stigma and misconceptions that come with them but following a breakdown this year and losing pretty much everything in my life have just been telling anyone and everyone who will listen; I don't have anything to be ashamed of! I write a blog on my experiences hoping it will help resolve some of issues and help me overcome my illnesses.

Looking forward to meeting new people.

Addy x

Megannie

Megannie

Founding Member
Hi there folks :)

I'm in my mid fifties and wondering where my life has gone.:unsure:

I was diagnosed with severe depression and anxiety disorder when I was 38 but had suffered long before that, for years I've taken a mood stabiliser and whilst I don't suffer from real manic episodes I do suffer from hypermania.
I've been hospitalised twice in the past and spent years attending Day Hospital, these days I just live a quiet life near the coast and cope with whatever comes along.:mad:

I'm just recovering from an operation so sitting at the puter for long periods isn't possible but I will try and pop in and out as I can.

I have my own forum so I will put a link on there to here.:innocent:

I'm not sure how found me to send me an email but I'm glad you did the forum is looking great so far.(y)

A

AJS

Founding Member
hello folks

Morning folks, i'm female and in my late 30's. I work in mental health and have done for almost 20 yrs. I'm glad this message board has opened I hope it works well for everyone who uses it.

Merry Christmas everyone :clap:

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi Addy! :welcome:

I always used to hide my problems in fear of the stigma and misconceptions that come with them but following a breakdown this year and losing pretty much everything in my life have just been telling anyone and everyone who will listen; I don't have anything to be ashamed of! I write a blog on my experiences hoping it will help resolve some of issues and help me overcome my illnesses.
I like your approach of telling anyone and everyone who will listen and the blog. We are hoping that lots of people will keep journals of their experiences in the Journals section of this forum. Please let us know the address of the blog so we can link to it.

Neil

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi Megannie :welcome:

I'm in my mid fifties and wondering where my life has gone.:unsure:
Don't we all think this! I'm in my early (or is it mid?) 40s and at times wonder my life has gone!

I'm just recovering from an operation so sitting at the puter for long periods isn't possible but I will try and pop in and out as I can.
I have my own forum so I will put a link on there to here.:innocent:
Best wishes for a speedy recovery from your operation! Sounds like you are in a great place to convalesce.

Thanks for the link. (y) Getting this forum known is real important at the moment so any links really help!

Neil

mischief

mischief

Admin
Hi AJS :welcome:

I work in mental health and have done for almost 20 yrs.
Great to hear that you work in the mental health field. We are really hoping that people with all sorts of involvement in the mental health field get involved. We all need to learn from each other!

Neil

Megannie

Megannie

Founding Member
Hi AJS my daughter works in Mental Health she qualified two years ago and is a CPN now.:)

A

AJS

Founding Member
Hi

Cool job CPN, many of my friends do it. I work in clinical settings like Clozaril, Lithium,Depot and ECT, I love my job even after 20yrs lol :)

Megannie

Megannie

Founding Member
That's a cool job, i take Lithium.:(

My daughter did a year on the ward but she always wanted to be on the community.

M

MillieMiles

Hello folks

I'm about your age, Daffy and famale. I have had troubles for years, too, but keep much of what goes on in my head private, like yourself. Sometimes it spills over, though and people don't understand much. Still I have some friends, now, on the web and nearby who know what it's like. That makes so much difference.:clap:

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
I'm about your age, Daffy and famale. I have had troubles for years, too, but keep much of what goes on in my head private, like yourself. Sometimes it spills over, though and people don't understand much. Still I have some friends, now, on the web and nearby who know what it's like. That makes so much difference.:clap:
Hi MillieMiles, and welcome to the forum! :welcome:
This is a very friendly forum and there are many people here who know what you're going through and have been through. Have a look around and keep posting. Take care.
:flowers:

S

*Sapphire*

Hi MillieMiles

And :welcome: to the forum!
There is a wealth of knowledge, experience and support to be found here! :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
F Introduce Yourself 3
Pelyna Introduce Yourself 3
D Introduce Yourself 2
P Introduce Yourself 9
G Introduce Yourself 15