• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello

H

Hm77

Hi, my name is Eleanor. I am very new to this and I have never done anything like this before but I am becoming pretty desperate for some advice/help.
I am currently 25 years old, I am also diagnosed bipolar since I was 17 and since I was around 12 I have suffered with a very bad eating disorder. From the ages of 12-15 were extremely bad. I then almost thought it had gone away and then by the time I was in my 20s it was back in full force and I quickly realised they don’t just go away like that.
It’s gotten to the point where rather than just ignoring it and hoping it goes away, I need to be proactive and find help.
I have searched the Internet pretty far and wide to find someone with a similar experience to me.
Without going into too much detail it is almost like my body stops me from swallowing food, like the thought of eating closed my throat up. I do manage to eat, some days are easier than others. But it has always been the same symptoms. I get excessive saliva and it’s like the food just won’t go down, the more I think about it, the worse it is. When I was a teenager, it got to a point where I was storing food in bags to hide it from my parents so they didn’t know, until I lost so much weight they obviously had to take me to a doctor.
Just to make anyone who may bother to read this aware, I have been checked by medical professionals multiple times and I have no physical problems in my throat or anything along those lines, so that has been ruled out.
I haven’t eaten out or with my friends or family for over 4 years. It has had an impact on every part of my life, there’s times I don’t want to go out of the house, the thought of food or discussing food with anyone is a nightmare to me.
My dad was diagnosed with terminal cancer back in October 2020 and I noticed that after his diagnosis, I’m guessing due to stress, it got so much worse.
Another thing I’d like to mention is that I have been on anxiety medication before, but it never seemed to help.
If anyone even has a distraction technique, a little tip or trick, anything that could even help in the slightest. Because after almost 15 years I’m really ready to fight this head on.
thank you so much if you read this post in its entirety. 😊x

Jolly

Jolly

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry you are struggling. There will be other lovely people on the forum who can help and support you. I am thinking of you. Take a look around the forum. Top right hand corner you can type in eating disorder to find similar people on your position x

H

Hm77

thank you so so much for your response. Even just some kind words can make a difference sometimes. You obviously have a good heart, thank you x

H

Hm77

Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry you are struggling. There will be other lovely people on the forum who can help and support you. I am thinking of you. Take a look around the forum. Top right hand corner you can type in eating disorder to find similar people on your position x
thank you so so much for your response. Even just some kind words can make a difference sometimes. You obviously have a good heart, thank you x