Hello :)

R

Rosy

Hi. This is a new experience for me. I've read forums before but never joined in myself, until now.
I'm nearly 53, have experienced anxiety from primary school age. In the last 12 years I've tried various therapies and medication. I'm also now menopausal!
Most of the time I can cope with life, look outwardly calm and happy but my mind is never really relaxed. Out of the blue the anxiety worsens, I can't control it and my mind goes over any mistakes I have made in life.
I take sertraline but it's giving me terrible dreams. I would like to find something that just makes me feel relaxed with life as it's a pretty good life.

O

OCDguy

Hi :welcome: to the forum :) I assume you mean you are constantly on edge, tensed up? If so, can you please share the sort of home life etc. you were brought up in. May I also ask how/why you came to make this post today :)

R

Rosy

Hi :welcome: to the forum :) I assume you mean you are constantly on edge, tensed up? If so, can you please share the sort of home life etc. you were brought up in. May I also ask how/why you came to make this post today :)
Hi. Yup, constantly on edge.
When I'm really struggling I worry about anything I've said. Go over conversations I've had. I suppose there is the whole perfection thing which I know is unrealistic.
My upbringing and home life were great. Just 'ordinary' (if that makes sense). Very supportive parents and now husband.
I think I came to the forum because I was 'fine' then the anxiety just kicked off again and I thought it would be good to get ideas from others suffering.

O

OCDguy

So assuming you had a calm upbringing, can you pinpoint when you started to feel anxious and the circumstances surrounding it :) Has anyone been over critical towards you :hug:

R

Rosy

So assuming you had a calm upbringing, can you pinpoint when you started to feel anxious and the circumstances surrounding it :) Has anyone been over critical towards you :hug:
Aw, thank you.
That's another strange thing. No one has been over critical, quite the opposite.
I had my first panic when I was about 9ish. I think I said something in the playground I was worried was the wrong thing! Other than that I can't think of anything to set it off.

O

OCDguy

It's interesting, how something like that plays on your mind. Does this by any chance snow ball out of control :hug:

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi Rosy
Welcome to the forum
I'm sorry you have anxiety, what treatments have you tried?
Take care

R

Rosy

Hi Rosy
Welcome to the forum
I'm sorry you have anxiety, what treatments have you tried?
Take care
Hi Mayflower
Thank you.
I've tried therapists and was eventually told they could do nothing and to try medication.
I've tried a few and at the moment I'm on sertraline and hrt but the sertraline gives me terrible dreams.i just think life could be easier (in my head anyway) My gp is great.

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hi,
Have you asked your pharmacist if the Sertraline interacts with the hrt?
Hope you find some coping mechanisms on the forum.
Take care

buzzbuzz

buzzbuzz

Welcome to the forums! :welcome:

I recently had my first panic attack and I've been struggling with anxiety almost every day so I know what you mean. I hope all is well!

O

OCDguy

If it helps, I find relaxing with a cup of coffee and clearing my mind helps. Are there any particular thoughts causing you distress at the moment :hug:

R

Rosy

If it helps, I find relaxing with a cup of coffee and clearing my mind helps. Are there any particular thoughts causing you distress at the moment :hug:
Not particularly.
When I have bad times I go straight back to the past and mistakes. Fortunately it isn't all the time.
I think it's time to see my go and review my medication.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

Hi there, sorry that it's been so many years, my problems started mid 20's, I found that disturbing thoughts stemmed from lack of fresh oxygen in the mind, & going for long walks, countryside/the beach helped clear those thoughts.

There are plenty of things to worry about in life, but for the first 25 odd years of my life it didn't bother me, I never had these disturbing thoughts before then, it went on for years, but I did find these long walks did help clear them, they are still there at times, but nothing like it was for years.

Sorry state

Sorry state

Hi Rosy, another :welcome: to the forum!
Similarly I had anxiety from a young age. Now 46 and it's still with me:(. I'm also on sertraline (although prescribed for depression). I found that what helps take the edge of some of the anxiety is giving up coffee and drinking chamomile tea, I'm also taking Kalms tablets. It's not a solution or a cure but might offer a little relief.
Really glad you sound so positive about life in general. Take care.

R

Rosy

Hi, thank you for your kind words.
I've more or less given up caffeine. Have one cup in the morning and the rest is decaf. Haven't taken kalms for a while so thanks for the reminder. I'll give them another try. Bachs rescue remedy I've found in the past to be helpful so maybe start that again too 👍

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Introduce Yourself 7
C Introduce Yourself 11
S Introduce Yourself 12
A Introduce Yourself 9
L Introduce Yourself 11