• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello

O

Outsider

Hi my name is David, Im 20 and I live in the Peak District.

I have suffered in silence with depression since early teens until earlier this year when i finally decided to tell someone, though I wish I hadnt now because it has been a waste of time for me, it has not achieved anything and I just feel even more confused now. I get these highs and lows, one minute I can be happy then next without warning suicidle, to me it seems like some kind of bipolar disorder but without the extreme highs, also to add to the confusion and the main reason why the psychiatrists and other people I have seen have been so useless is that I also suffer with an illness called M.E. which I have had for about 5 years now, they have tried to just blame it on that and its very frustrating trying to get it across to them that it isnt.

I obviously havnt gone into details now but hope to soon, that is one of the reasons I joined to talk about it more and to try and understand, I have been having a very bad phase since just before christmas that just dosnt seem to be ending and I had even gone back to self harming which I have not done in years, I have not done it for a couple of months again now but its very hard to resist, also I feel very isolated with M.E. so hopefully will be able to make some friends too :)

lucid scream

lucid scream

hi David and welcome to the forum. :)
this is definately the place to connect with people of similar experience, and i know i have made several friends here. we'll leave the diagnosississesses for the proffessionals, though. were here for support and general bullshitting only!
anyways, what is M.E.?

O

Outsider

ME stands for Myalgic Encephalopathy, it has lot other names though like CFS (Chronic fatigue syndrome)

lucid scream

lucid scream

ah...ive heard of that. it sounds like it sucks. is there anything you do that helps with that? i can certainly see how it leads to depression.
a lot of people seem to have trouble getting help with mental illness. my own 'entrance' into treatment was dramatic, as i had gone into a catatonic state for a day or 2 and came out of it screaming at others and threatening to seriously hurt one person in particular. :oops: i am not trying to compare situations, though. i had little choice in the matter, though, and was hospitalized. so i dont really know what you should do, but im sure someone will have better advice. i guess just keep talking to your doctors.
best thing you can do is build a support group, people who will listen to you and give you positive feedback, but most importantly just be there. so keep posting!

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Hi my name is David, Im 20 and I live in the Peak District.

I have suffered in silence with depression since early teens until earlier this year when i finally decided to tell someone, though I wish I hadnt now because it has been a waste of time for me, it has not achieved anything and I just feel even more confused now. I get these highs and lows, one minute I can be happy then next without warning suicidle, to me it seems like some kind of bipolar disorder but without the extreme highs, also to add to the confusion and the main reason why the psychiatrists and other people I have seen have been so useless is that I also suffer with an illness called M.E. which I have had for about 5 years now, they have tried to just blame it on that and its very frustrating trying to get it across to them that it isnt.

I obviously havnt gone into details now but hope to soon, that is one of the reasons I joined to talk about it more and to try and understand, I have been having a very bad phase since just before christmas that just dosnt seem to be ending and I had even gone back to self harming which I have not done in years, I have not done it for a couple of months again now but its very hard to resist, also I feel very isolated with M.E. so hopefully will be able to make some friends too :)
Hello and :welcome: David to MHF
Just out of curoisty ........... How long was it before they diaognosed you with ME. ? I ask as i often get asked by my back dr if i have this .

D

Dollit

Hi Outsider and you're definitely not an outsider here.

We all have stories to tell and experiences to share and that's why the forum works. Lucid said some good stuff - keep talking to the docs and build a support team. I encourage people to build strong support teams, I need mine a lot this past few weeks and they are worth their weight in gold right now.

I don't think it's important where the depression comes from to begin with (if it comes from anywhere) the vital thing is to have it treated in a way that's best for you.

Look forward to getting to know you.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi David and welcome to the forum :welcome:. It's a good place full of lovely people! Do keep posting (it can be great therapy!). I look forward to seeing you around.

orange_sox

orange_sox

Hi David :welcome: I'm quite new and I have found this site to be a great help. I hope you keep posting, I always like to meet new understanding people :)

intelgal

intelgal

Founding Member
Hi David and Welcome.. this is a great place....!

Dperession is a real toughie and I spend most of my time wondering where it comes from and why I have it. But the truth is sometimes we just dont know and that its an oganic problem and those chemicals just need some help to be corrected!

Intel

S

Starbright

Hi Outsider

Depression is hell

My mum had ME for a few years and that was hell too

I'm so sorry

Welcome though :flowers:

O

Outsider

Thanks everyone :)

Just out of curoisty ........... How long was it before they diaognosed you with ME. ? I ask as i often get asked by my back dr if i have this .
It took about a year, I thought that was a long time but its not, it takes alot longer in most cases mainly because doctors dont believe them or they are misdiagnosed with somthing else etc. though recently I heard people can also be misdiagnosed with ME when really they have depression too

Fedup

Fedup

Founding Member
Thanks everyone :)

It took about a year, I thought that was a long time but its not, it takes alot longer in most cases mainly because doctors dont believe them or they are misdiagnosed with somthing else etc. though recently I heard people can also be misdiagnosed with ME when really they have depression too
Thanks for that :), differant drs say to me ME then others depression . Depression is the one most say tbh. But ME is always at the back of my mind.