• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello

E

edmonds

Hi everyone,

I am writing in this forum because I have looked at symptoms of bipolar and I think my girlfriend may have this...

I would just like people to help me out and tell me if its me being stupid or if anyone thinks she may have it...

I love my girlfriend to pieces, we have been together nearly a year now and recently moved in together... we were pretty much living together before I 'officially' moved in... but there are things she does that makes me think she has got bipolar... i don't think having bipolar is a bad thing at all (once diagnosed and treated properly) but I don't know how to tell her I think she may have it!

I have been researching this for a while now and all the symptoms add up... these are some of the things she does:

If I get something slightly wrong (human error) like buying the wrong thing from the shops she gets in a mood and will not speak to me...
When we decide to do something and I suggest an alternative (just inputting my opinion) the same mood happens...
If I disagree with something she acts like its the end of the world...
I get the blame for everything that is wrong (i.e. messy house) when its actually her stuff laying around because I make sure I tidy up after myself because of this...
She panics about everything (no matter how big or small) for example if she gets a letter saying please call this number urgently, she immediately thinks the worse, and when I try to comfort her and say that it may not be as bad as she thinks (and most of the time it isn't) the mood swing happens again...
Most of the time when she gets into a mood she ignores me for the whole evening/day and wont talk to me about it...
When I go out with friends for the evening she is constantly accusing me of cheating, when I have never once cheated on her...

the main thing that I think she may have bipolar is when she gets into a mood, I try and comfort her, she then turns to me a blames me for everything, which usually leads to me being chucked out and her saying its over between us... then 2-3 hours later she is on the phone to me crying, saying she loves me and she's sorry...

It's hard to try and remember all the things that happen... but if you think she does have this I would like help in trying to do my best not to upset her and when she does have a mood swing what is the best thing to do (leave her to it, comfort her etc)

and I really don't want to be the one that suggests her going to the doctors about this because this will cause more problems...

thank you so much for your time reading this and any feed back is welcome.

pinkprincess

pinkprincess

I would suggest posting on the Bipolar thread so that it reaches people who would be able to help. I have no experience with this so sorry. Hope you find the answers you are looking for!

BORTU

BORTU

Hello.

I have known a bipolar person and it can be a bit tricky. Trying to discuss it with her will be certain to cause a glitch. Does she have a close relative you could talk to?

B

Blondie

Hmmm.How about having counselling together?