• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Hello

T

tess

Hi, I' m Tess and I' ve just joined this forum. I' ve been looking for some help with a problem that I' ve had for quite a while now.
This will probably sound like a strange problem, but I have had problems with thinking about people I don' t like, and am most definitely not attracted too. I have had this problem with a few different people, and it is really starting to annoy me now. No matter what I do, I cannot seem to fix this problem. Has anyone else ever had this problem, and if so,do you have any advice for me? I am really desperate for help, as it is really effecting me and I am wondering if I have some sort of mental problem. I' ve been advised to try Cognitive Behaviourial Therapy, which I am looking into, but it would be a help to know whether anyone else has had this problem, as I feel very alone with this, as it' s not something you can really tell to anyone, as I don' t think many people would understand it, as I certainly don' t!
Any help anyone can give will be gratefully received.

S

*Sapphire*

Hi Tess and :welcome:

I hope you find the forum as friendly and supportive as I have. :)

I'm not sure what to suggest, I guess I would start with looking at why you don't like them and see of there is something unresolved there.

In what way do you think about them?

T

tess

Thank you for your welcome Sapphire.
When I see these people,I just picture them really, not in any sort of fantasy way or anything and I don' t have murderous or sexual thoughts about them, just picture them as they were when I saw them. I know this must sound like a very strange problem, and I don' t know what else to do. I try thinking of other people and keeping my mind busy with other things, but it doesn' t work. It' s making me very depressed.

S

*Sapphire*

You say you don't like these people, is there a particular reason you don't like them?

Sometimes I find trying not to fight the images you see can help. Just accept them coming into your mind, and try to let them slip out of your mind again without getting caught up in an emotion. Sometimes once you stop fighting those images coming into your mind and relax around them it lessens the impact they have on your mood.

Try to obeserve them like paintings, just watch them, notice them but try not to get entangled and caught up in them. It helped me lots.

This site may be of some help.

http://www.dbtselfhelp.com/html/mindfulness.html

Take care x

T

tess

Thank you for that web link and your advice Sapphire. I' ve found the site helpful, and I have an appointment to see a CBT therapist on Wednesday for a free consultation, so hopefully he' ll be able to help me to. Thank you so much for your advice.

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

:welcome: Tess,I am please to hear you are finding the Forum helpful.

take care :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Introduce Yourself 11
TylersOutlet24 Introduce Yourself 7
L Introduce Yourself 8
M Introduce Yourself 6
A Introduce Yourself 8