• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Hello - Physical Symptoms of Anxiety

J

JamesAndrew

Hi all

Hoping that this forum might be helpful to me as I am struggling to find anyone with experience of the issues I am having...

Long story short, I had some relationship issues which started in September and which I thought I was dealing with quite well. I was trying to be positive and not worry, but I started to develop breathlessness, random chest pains, fatigue and brain fog.

To start with, I thought I had a physical problem, then I started to feel anxious and very uneasy all the time, but I couldn’t work out why. I wasn’t consciously worried or sad about the relationship stuff, but with the anxiety I realised that I had a mental issue.

Eventually I had a little breakdown and immediately afterwards felt a bit better, having felt a bit of emotion and let it out.

The anxiety and physical symptoms didn’t completely go away and reluctantly I started on antidepressants to get me through, because I was starting to struggle to look after my son.

After the initial ‘Rocky’ stage, the tablets started to work really well. I basically forgot about my problems and felt like I could function again.

Then out of the blue I got a horrible pain deep in the middle of my chest whilst driving, which really worried me. Since then I have experienced some further anxiety and I have a constant lump in my throat (that feeling when upset)

I am a relatively fit and healthy 28 year old with no health conditions. My doctor thinks the chest pain stuff is all stress related and some basic tests have come back clear, but I am going for some further tests in the coming weeks.

My theory is that there is a pattern here of the physical symptoms (chest pains etc) coming on at times when I am not acknowledging my emotions/problems, and it’s like my subconscious is reminding me that I’m not ok.

These physical symptoms often come on at times when I am not feeling consciously sad or depressed or anxious.

So this turned out to a longer, more rambling post than I intended but basically I am just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or comments?

Thank you very much in advance

C

Charlie2020

Hi all

Hoping that this forum might be helpful to me as I am struggling to find anyone with experience of the issues I am having...

Long story short, I had some relationship issues which started in September and which I thought I was dealing with quite well. I was trying to be positive and not worry, but I started to develop breathlessness, random chest pains, fatigue and brain fog.

To start with, I thought I had a physical problem, then I started to feel anxious and very uneasy all the time, but I couldn’t work out why. I wasn’t consciously worried or sad about the relationship stuff, but with the anxiety I realised that I had a mental issue.

Eventually I had a little breakdown and immediately afterwards felt a bit better, having felt a bit of emotion and let it out.

The anxiety and physical symptoms didn’t completely go away and reluctantly I started on antidepressants to get me through, because I was starting to struggle to look after my son.

After the initial ‘Rocky’ stage, the tablets started to work really well. I basically forgot about my problems and felt like I could function again.

Then out of the blue I got a horrible pain deep in the middle of my chest whilst driving, which really worried me. Since then I have experienced some further anxiety and I have a constant lump in my throat (that feeling when upset)

I am a relatively fit and healthy 28 year old with no health conditions. My doctor thinks the chest pain stuff is all stress related and some basic tests have come back clear, but I am going for some further tests in the coming weeks.

My theory is that there is a pattern here of the physical symptoms (chest pains etc) coming on at times when I am not acknowledging my emotions/problems, and it’s like my subconscious is reminding me that I’m not ok.

These physical symptoms often come on at times when I am not feeling consciously sad or depressed or anxious.

So this turned out to a longer, more rambling post than I intended but basically I am just wondering if anyone has had any similar experiences or comments?

Hi James. I am new to this forum and have struggled with the same symptoms as yourself for many years and times I have really struggled with it. The thing is, you can’t die from an attack such as these and they won’t last for ever. I have learnt that when it happens don’t fight it as it gets worse. Do what I do abs that is find a rectangle, a tv, an exit sign, anything really and breath in going down the side breath out going along and breath in going up, and before you know it, you will be thinking what was all that about.

J

JamesAndrew

Hi Charlie thank you for your very helpful reply. What sort of symptoms etc do you have?

Z

Zoe1

hi JamesAndrew :welcome: !

I think some of my physical symptoms are psychological as well
like if there is a conflict with someone
it will make the physical pain I'm in worse
even though there is an actual defect there
I will experience it very differently

you sound a bit isolated so hopefully having some company here will help

:grouphug:🕯

UpnDwn1978

UpnDwn1978

Forum Guide
Hi James welcome to the forum :welcome:

My anxiety gives me a plethora of physical symptoms, many resembling the ones you are mentioning. I also get dizzy and nauseous on occassions and it feels like I'm going to faint.

D

Drkagan

Hi all

Hi, I'm 27 and have been dealing with this for about a year now. You said your having more tests done? I'd really like to here how it turns out. Welcome by the way.